New addition to the family!

He appears to be worse today, not eating or drinking, we have some heat on them now and not sure what else to try. If he doesn't eat or drink we can't get the vitamins in him, I am thinking it something else because he stopped eating, it should warm up later in the week so I can get them out if they will go.

He appears to be worse today, not eating or drinking, we have some heat on them now and not sure what else to try. If he doesn't eat or drink we can't get the vitamins in him, I am thinking it something else because he stopped eating, it should warm up later in the week so I can get them out if they will go.
Could have some kind of infection, a vet would be your best bet at this stage. Poultry [water fowl] can hide sickness so well sometimes they are just about gone before we even realize something is wrong. Hows the feed look could it have gotten moldy?

We just started a new bag of corn over a week ago because the other one got wet in the bottom. We didn't feed them the wet corn once we noticed it got wet, the mash looks ok. We are going to call today see if we can find a vet.

Is it possible the hay we got was moldy? I didn't notice any but that's not saying it's not, I will check it out. There are 3 things that changed;

1) she is sitting on eggs so we have not cleaned the pen just adding hay to keep it dry.

2) found the wet corn in the bag and started a new bag.

3) we started a new bail of hay, this hay is not green it's brown color. We were told it's older hay 2 years been in the barn.

We are calling the vet and still looking for what it might be. If it is mold anything we can do other than clean everything and start fresh?

I feel bad we only have a few weeks for the weather to break and they can get on the pond.

Is it possible the hay we got was moldy? I didn't notice any but that's not saying it's not, I will check it out. There are 3 things that changed;

1) she is sitting on eggs so we have not cleaned the pen just adding hay to keep it dry.

2) found the wet corn in the bag and started a new bag.

3) we started a new bail of hay, this hay is not green it's brown color. We were told it's older hay 2 years been in the barn.

We are calling the vet and still looking for what it might be. If it is mold anything we can do other than clean everything and start fresh?

I feel bad we only have a few weeks for the weather to break and they can get on the pond.
Here is a link to treating for Toxins, I like to use the activated charcoal and have used it on some of my flock my dogs when they ate something dead and even on myself when i had a touch of food poisoning https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

I had a goose like this. (Usually if it´s leg problems, it´ll be niacin that´s needed.) I opened her bill and made her eat soaked(a bit soggy) non-medicated chick-crumb (has lots of good things) mixed with brewers yeast, then I put a little water in a bowl with some cider vinegar and floated pieces of lettuce in it, so all together, she was getting (if forced), the important niacin in the brewer´s yeast, other minerals in the crumb, greens, and liquids. Geese generally can´t resist greens floating in water. Also I´ve given them water cress, as that´s also got lots of goodies in it. What else are they eating apart form the corn and hay? They need greens, most important, and corn will keep them warm, but it doesn´t have a lot of good stuff in it. Greens are so important. If it were me, I´d try the brewer´s yeast mixed in with soaked chick crumb and pop some lettuce in a bowl of water. See how he goes. And do the same for the gal.

On a good note he does not seem to be getting worse:) we found a vet that gave us some things to check, but we haven't found anything:( on a bad note he did not try to stand at all when we picked him up, he was moving himself with his wings.

His feet seem good, joints are not swelled or warm, no dry cracking either.

We are thinking maybe a mold thing?? He did eat some lettuce we gave him and look like he did drink something.

We have a heat light on them and he sits directly under it, he seems to shiver a little and seems chilly to the touch. We have the furnace on at 55 with the heat light on.

On a good note they are both alert and she stood up and got really upset with us being in the pen. She now has 12 eggs she is sitting on full time.

The vet did say straw was better than hay so I am going to try to clean the pen the best I can, should I remove her from her best or just try to clean around her?

All the research that I've done indicates that corn (and maise) cause niacin deficiency (in humans and other animals). Corn does contain niacin but it is not available for digestion unless the corn has been treated by cooking with lime (as in the mineral not the fruit), which then makes the niacin available. I would switch your corn to oats or barley, particularly if you are going to have goslings soon.

I agree with livininbrazil. I would try some watered down chickcrumb with some brewers yeast - or if he is drinking add some brewers yeast to the water to try and get the niacin levels up quickly.

http://www.poultrynews.com/New/Diseases/Merks/207024.htm

To answer your question about hay, yes it is possible to get moldy hay, especially alfalfa hay. Have you tried any of the toxin flushes?
I also wanted to ask you: have you cracked any of the eggs to see if they are fertile? The ones you collected previously or one of the new ones she's nesting right now?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom