New addition to the family!

Captim1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 19, 2013
Willard, Ohio
I ended up with 2 white geese I think they are "Embden" but not sure what sex they are (one is larger than the other). I have a 1.5 acre pond that I hope they will enjoy. I wanted to get some ducks and geese but was planning on this for a spring/summer project.

Anyway, currently they are in my garage in a pen made of plywood and bedded with hay. The pen is about 5 X 8 with 4' high sides and a lattice work type door. I had about an hour to make it before I left for Brazil on a business trip last week
barnie.gif
. We are feeding them a type of chicken feed and cracked core (recommended by TSC) not sure it's the best or not.

My question is what type of house can I build them so they can be on the pond in the winter? I have 2 bubblers in the pond keeping the ice away in a large spot. I am concerned about predators so I was thinking a floating house possibly and feeding them on shore, Has anyone done this I couldn't find much on floating houses. If not a floating house is it best to build an enclosure outside next to the pond but once again how do I keep the raccoons for getting them? My plan for summer was to build a floating deck with a roof they could sleep on and have them on the pond with no way anything could get at them.

I don't have a place outside for them currently and are trying to figure something out, I don't like it they can't get outside and can't swim around. I was told by the previous owner all they had was a blow up pool growing up this summer.

Any help would be great as I would like to give them the best home possible!

Not sure if geese would use a floating duck/goose house, but I will say this predators do swim and well so anytime your water fowl are out side of an enclosed house or pen at night you are taking a risk of them being killed and eaten. Training them to go into a secure pen and run of an evening would be better, put it close to the pond and make sure they can be locked in at night. Congrats on your new geese and hope you will post pics. I have 2 geese and 15 ducks and all of mine use a large kiddy pool in warm months and small kiddy pool in winter and only on days when it's above 35-40 so I can dump at end of the day. make sure they have deep buckets to drink and wash their faces out of at all times. Geese are grazers and since all of our grass is dead during the winter I supplement with soft hay like timothy, chopped Roamine lettuce hanging cabbage heads out for them, chopped kale and collards and yesterday they got chopped mustard greens for the first time. and a "all flock feed" would be best.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Here they are the first day, when they were not hissing at us they were eating. It seems they are getting a little more friendly now as they came to the food bowl with me standing there.

The pen is small for now but at leat they are safe and out of the weather, Does anyone think there will be any problems with Wild geese? we have a couple family's every year that comes to hatch thier young on our pond.

I was hoping the floating house would keep them protected so in the summer we would not need to lock them up every night.

Do you think a house on shore would be safe if we cannot lock it up until 7PM well after dark? I have 2 bubblers in the pond that keeps the ice out and they could swim all day after I open it up. We could keep them locked in during bad weather just not sure about that time after dark.

Here they are the first day, when they were not hissing at us they were eating. It seems they are getting a little more friendly now as they came to the food bowl with me standing there.

The pen is small for now but at leat they are safe and out of the weather, Does anyone think there will be any problems with Wild geese? we have a couple family's every year that comes to hatch thier young on our pond.

I was hoping the floating house would keep them protected so in the summer we would not need to lock them up every night.

Do you think a house on shore would be safe if we cannot lock it up until 7PM well after dark? I have 2 bubblers in the pond that keeps the ice out and they could swim all day after I open it up. We could keep them locked in during bad weather just not sure about that time after dark.
That's a very nice pen. and they are beautiful geese, of course I'm partial having an Embden of my own. I have read of others that have large ponds having their own geese and wild ones coming in the spring, not sure if there'd be any problems other than normal territorial disputes but they will most likely work them out. I'm not sure about the time after dark? do you mean because you couldn't be there in time? a house on shore would be safe if you can put them up before dark other wise they would be in there with the door open and a prime target for a predator. Geese really have no means of protecting themselves they are all bluff and no amount of hissing and wing flapping is going to deter a pred from attacking. I don't think you'll find too many on here that don't lock their geese up at dusk, it's hard enough keeping them safe during daylight hours.

Yes you are correct; I can't be home before dark to lock them up. I know some neighbors down the street have ducks that they don't have a house just let them run and they seem to be fine (still have the same amount from this spring). So I thought the floating house idea would be the best of both worlds.

Maybe I can come up with an automatic door closer that closes at dark but they would need to be in there or they would be stuck out until I get home.

Another idea I had
ya.gif
was an enclosed run from the enclosure to the water that extends in to the water so they would be protected and their door was not assessable from the land. Has anyone tried that?

I am really unsure what I have around my house that is a predator, I don't think coons or fox will swim to the goose house in the water but might try to get into the run. I have been there 2 years and have only seen one coon and we did see 2 fox this spring. We have a boxer that keeps everything run off quite well, He is learning the geese are off limits and seems content just checking them out when we are there but stays away other than that.

Lots of things to think about, I hope to get it all figured out by spring because I would like to get more. What I don't want to have are ducks and geese that are just a snack for the local coon and fox, I don't think I would have them if that’s the case.

Yes you are correct; I can't be home before dark to lock them up. I know some neighbors down the street have ducks that they don't have a house just let them run and they seem to be fine (still have the same amount from this spring). So I thought the floating house idea would be the best of both worlds.

Maybe I can come up with an automatic door closer that closes at dark but they would need to be in there or they would be stuck out until I get home.

Another idea I had
ya.gif
was an enclosed run from the enclosure to the water that extends in to the water so they would be protected and their door was not assessable from the land. Has anyone tried that?

I am really unsure what I have around my house that is a predator, I don't think coons or fox will swim to the goose house in the water but might try to get into the run. I have been there 2 years and have only seen one coon and we did see 2 fox this spring. We have a boxer that keeps everything run off quite well, He is learning the geese are off limits and seems content just checking them out when we are there but stays away other than that.

Lots of things to think about, I hope to get it all figured out by spring because I would like to get more. What I don't want to have are ducks and geese that are just a snack for the local coon and fox, I don't think I would have them if that’s the case.

The water idea is not the best either because there are predators like dogs that will swim out to them if they want them. As Miss Lydia says predators will do anything to get a meal so easy to get. You need a closed in pen to put the geese into so they are safe at nights.
I have big dog kennels that we put wire on top then put tarps on which my husband put a wood cut out and put a long fence poll in there to make it drain off the top. Then we put tarps around the back and both sides. Makes a great pen for them and good protection. But we did put hardware cloth around the bottom 3 foot high so the coons could not pull a duck or goose through them.
We had a coon that literally pulled a duck right through the fencing of the dog kennel...... Plus pulled a duck apart right through a 1" x 2" wire. They are resent less to get them food.... Also got 2 baby goslings through there so we made sure to put the hardware cloth around all the pens. Plus the coon reached in and cornered a almost full grown goose and ate it through the pen.
So hope this helps you some on what to do.

I lock my birds up every night and make sure there is nothing that can get through to them anymore!!! So put you mind to work because the predators will get the geese if not in a predator proof enclose...... Good luck.

Well you are feeding them correctly and you have a good understanding of how to become acquainted with
yourself and the pin is well constructed & roomy for now as they become comfortable in the new surroundings
A floating barge or house is nice but a raccoon I have had some years ago swam out and got several of my
ducks but that was in the summer time .... But how many did it save I haven't any idea ....
The minimum of a blow up pool is adequate but they will pop it in time .........
So fair you are doing every thing in the correct fashion keep up the good work these geese can live over
twenty years if cared for properly and you have a good healthy set to start with .....
smile.png

I have several over ten years old now that hatched from previous geese I had ........
wee.gif

Oh before I forget
welcome-byc.gif
always glad to see new stock in the flock .....
clap.gif

gander007
old.gif

Thnaks for the info, I am trying to do what best for us and the geese.

My understanding is the main threat is at night correct?

I figured the threat level at my place might be low because the wild geese come to hatch thier yourg (2-3 familys). they do loose a couple chicks but for the most part they keep all that has hatched. I guess I will try to build an enclosure close to the pond I can lock them up at night and fugure something out to get it closed before dark.

Back
Top Bottom