New additions, or not.

Adey65

Chirping
Jul 6, 2021
I am now down to three hens having recently lost two and initially decided to add another three. Now I'm in two minds.After observing my birds over the last week, they seem really content, and I'm worried about upsetting the status quo. I'm fortunate that I work from home so if I did go ahead, I will be able to keep a close eye on them during the day. What are your thoughts? Should I just leave them as they are if they're happy, or would they be even happier in a larger group? I want whats best for them, and not what I think will make me happier.

They'll be fine as a flock of 3, and they'll likely be fine if you add new additions. So it's really up to you and what you want, and the facilities they have. How big is your coop and your run? Integration is probably the trickiest part of the equation so if you don't have room to comfortably add more birds, I would say it's better not to even if you'd like more birds.

They'll be fine as a flock of 3, and they'll likely be fine if you add new additions. So it's really up to you and what you want, and the facilities they have. How big is your coop and your run? Integration is probably the trickiest part of the equation so if you don't have room to comfortably add more birds, I would say it's better not to even if you'd like more birds.
My first experience with chickens over two years ago only involved a small coop and the current run. At first, I had three hens and then added two more a few months later. I spent most of the day with them, making sure they were okay without separating them. Initially, there was a lot of bickering and bullying, but nothing too serious.

The coop's lack of windows made it dark inside, which worked in their favor as the new ones were difficult to attack due to poor visibility. The attached document shows my current set up. The coop is an 8x6 shed that was transformed into a coop and has two separate roosting areas. Under the primary roosting area, there are six nest boxes.

The 4x2 meter run is connected directly to the coop and has two distinct roosting spaces, as you can see. There are dust baths in the area, and I plan to add three more tires to create additional ones. I can cover the window to black it out when they're in the coop, since I can't separate them at night.

Assuming I proceed, I'll bring them back and present them to the coop, exhibit how to access it from the run, and use the plastic fencing seen in one of the photos to keep them separated during the day. Both groups will have an equal share of the garden, and both areas will have water, food, and shelter available. When it starts getting dark, I'll let them mix together while I'm around.

I'm leaning towards getting more and I have the advantage of being able to stay at home to monitor the situation and be alert to any issues.

Attachments

• 20230814_101501.jpg
    20230814_101501.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230814_101530.jpg
    20230814_101530.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230814_101536.jpg
    20230814_101536.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230814_101553.jpg
    20230814_101553.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 2
  • chicken coop_406A8EB8D553_20230814072727197.jpg
    chicken coop_406A8EB8D553_20230814072727197.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 2
Looks like you have plenty of room for a few new additions. Having a second roost option in the coop is great. I assume you'd going with point of lay pullets or laying hens instead of chicks? If so, I hope you plan on getting them from a reputable source if you don't have space or plans for biological quarantine... never get birds that look to be in poor shape that you simply feel sorry for.

Yes point of lay pullets, and from the same place I have got them from previously, which is a reputable dealer not too far from where I live. All birds come vaccinated and are kept in fantastic conditions.

Back
Top Bottom