New Arrivals (Few toe injury pics for those squeamish)

Yeah all you need is a sharp pair of scissors. When I don’t have an incredibly sharp pair I do cervical dislocation to kill them and then I chop thier head of to bleed them.
As I'm typing I'm hearing a bunch of males crowing outside. It's almost 10pm and it's funny how the older ones are communicating with the ones in the shed 8 or so meters away. Mayhaps they know what awaits some of them!

I do like the idea of having quail for say a christmas dinner. Might have to try that for something different.

As I'm typing I'm hearing a bunch of males crowing outside. It's almost 10pm and it's funny how the older ones are communicating with the ones in the shed 8 or so meters away. Mayhaps they know what awaits some of them!

I do like the idea of having quail for say a christmas dinner. Might have to try that for something different.
This is pretty simple and festive! Basic sourdough stuffing, nothing fancy.

I was also way off on my weight guess it was only 2 pounds 15 ounces. I guess my weighing skills aren’t to good 🤣

This is pretty simple and festive! Basic sourdough stuffing, nothing fancy.
That does look pretty good! Here I was just going to cook it in some butter olive oil like I do steak LOL
I was also way off on my weight guess it was only 2 pounds 15 ounces. I guess my weighing skills aren’t to good 🤣
That's still heaps! I think I'd process just one at first. Then two maybe.

Today I managed to tag more male quails. Turns out the two injured hens were actually injured hen and injured male as he started crowing. The males are starting to stack up. I'll have to revisit the main coop and get a new count of the numbers as I'm pretty sure the ratio is out of whack even with the reduced numbers.

Yeah that’s what I did the first time I processed was two males that were scalping the girls then I did 4 and then another 2 as 2 males slipped past. Then I did this batch.
It's funny. I was worried about to do with my surplus of males and was going to buy a coop but luckily someone was throwing out one really local so I jumped on it.

The one you see that's smaller I want to put steel angle on it for legs and then maybe polycarbonate on top mesh the bottom and bobs your uncle. The bigger one has wooden floor and so I have to figure out how to tackle that litter wise.

The small one I might even work on today because it also has a wall in it so I could use it to introduce Jake and the Gidge crew. The big one I'm going to cut the middle mesh out and put a plastic door in that drops down.

Attachments

• big coop freebie.jpg
    big coop freebie.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Coop freebie.jpg
    Coop freebie.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 4
I mostly posted my update in the garden channel and the pics as well but I managed to finish reconstructing one coop and turn it into a single tier style introductory/male pen. I only say introductory because there's a double wire internal door thingy the bloke must of put in which is handy.

The same goes for the other main part. Which will be the next project and allow me to sort through Jake's babies when they come of age. They are already starting to crow which is cute. I've separated 6 boys into one half of the coop and 2 boys in the other which are the more naughtier. One is fine but the other pecks at anyone who isn't his pharaoh friend.

Right now there's basically one boy I know of in the main coop with all the other hens. I'm trying to decide on who to use as roos. There is quite a big roo amongst the gentle ones which I like the color of. I think tomorrow if I have time I'll get them out and take pics. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to get weights as well to help decide.

Back to the coop. What would you do if it had pine floorboards? Could I still use cardboard shreddings or keep it with the pine theme and use shavings?

Well I moved Jakes crew out into the chicken run where all the other quail coops are. However @Nabiki was definitely right! The little pharaoh was dangerously close to getting scalped so had to move him out and thought I'd try him with the other two pharaohs from the Gidge crew and that didn't go down well at all. 2 minutes and the two pharaohs were running a train on the boy! So. I decided to fetch one of his siblings that was missing feathers on the head as well and put them together in a smaller box. So now they are chilling out on the top shelf in my garage.

So this is where Jakes kids are currently. They get a lot of shade from a tree overhead and I decided to snap a branch off and chuck it in there with them. Tree kinda smells herby almost like eucalyptus. Can we upload videos here or no? Was going to upload the video of where Jakes kid was being picked on by the other pharaohs. He's pretty happy now that he's alone with his little white gal (I hope).

Attachments

• Jakes crew 5 weeks 1 day b.jpg
    Jakes crew 5 weeks 1 day b.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Jakes crew 5 weeks 1 day.jpg
    Jakes crew 5 weeks 1 day.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Jakes kids isolated.jpg
    Jakes kids isolated.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom