New Australian Hatching Mystery Egg at Home

keep us updated and tell us every thing i had a perfect hatch of 5/5 eggs today and my broody was going well until she rejected one this afternoon i am leaving it with her for the night and if it is still not under her tomorrow I wiil have to take it in.
i had a whole cluch of 1/2 "cooked" eggs in the nest box
the silly hen left them for the day, not just an hour nope all day
i put them under my broody silkie so she could finish the job
the the 1st hen shows back up
i put her in another coop to break her from being broody
this works about 50% of the time

Well my hen still has four other chicks that she hasn't rejected people have been telling me I should take a friend for the little chick should I?

Isn't Basil still a juvenile? Which would mean that Basil can't be sex yet right? How long does it take for a wood duck to mature?

Hello! I want to thank you for posting pics of your no-frills incubator. I rescued four duck eggs last weekend after mumma crash landed into her nest and smashed it all up. The casserole dish has worked a treat - three of the four pipped this morning!

Hope Basil is doing great!

Hello! I want to thank you for posting pics of your no-frills incubator. I rescued four duck eggs last weekend after mumma crash landed into her nest and smashed it all up. The casserole dish has worked a treat - three of the four pipped this morning!

Hope Basil is doing great!
you aussies may be onto something

I better patent it

I did some research and found some interesting information Australian Wood Duck is found in grasslands, open woodlands, wetlands, flooded pastures and along the coast in inlets and bays. It is also common on farmland with dams. As you have a dam Hmmmm

Hey also If you open the wing out on a young male wood duck you may see the green speculum starting to appear on his flights. Pacific Black Ducks seem to have their speculum more visible than the Australian wood duck.

Back
Top Bottom