New Australian Hatching Mystery Egg at Home

okay okay okay okay! I'm really sorry it's been so long in between photos, I've been so busy trying to make sure Basil is living the high-life (and most importantly healthy and happy) I haven't had enough time for my own life lately. So, mini photo flood time!

7 days, 1 Week old:
Weight 89 grams, Length 20cm, Height 18cm (birth- 37g, 10cm, 5cm)

Photos taken on a "Ballerina" outfit I had on for a themed kids play date this day which mostly consisted of a corset and a lace petticoat I made, he looks so cute in all the lace! Bonus cameo of me trying to hide!

13 days old:

He has the most striking and beautiful markings on his face! My little baby eeeeeeee. His bill is so small compared to most domestic ducks I've had, but that's inherit of his species and it just makes him extra adorable. He also has a super sharp downturn at the end for scissoring off our tough grasses and herbs! Also useful for scissoring off pieces of paper towels, newspaper, plastic grip mat, my fingers, etc, etc.

14 days old:
BiggerBiggerBigger

He also has the most beautiful steel blue-grey legs! Which is not a colour I would have expected as it doesn't match his bill! In the last few days he's started to get very very dandruffy (bird dust awww) because his pin feather sheaths are coming through for his first batch of baby feathers! So cute! He is starting to get prickly to touch, and is always very busy busy preening himself to get beautiful and less itchy.

We go on adventures out into the garden at least once a day, at the moment it's raining very heavily and frequently here so we make brief trysts out in between the downpours. But he seems to prefer it that way, as he gets to have a bit of a nap in between all the excitement of exploring. Compare this picture of him with the lettuce to this one from when he was just a few days old!
14 days old on the left, 3 days old on the right.

Also compare his physical size in-palm!

He is growing so fast my babyyyyy.
love.gif
He's getting much heavier now, I weighed him on Tuesday Morning (14 days old, two weeks) and he was 186 grams!! That is more than five times his hatch weight wow!! What a fatty, hehehehe. He also sticks his neck out very far now and very high, jumps around and easily jumps up into my lap when I sit on the floor, and he runs and flaps his ever growing but still super stubbly little wings more and more.

I hope this sates your appetites for photos a bit! Future photos will be slightly lower quality as I am back to a point and shoot instead of the DSLR I was using for these which I only had on loan for a client photoshoot, haha.

Thank you Oz for your photos in the interim (WOW so many eggs in the incubator I am very jealous!) and to all for your feedback and support and ideas! For now we are still on paper towels for bedding; tried to mulch our cut grasses up but couldn't get it as small as I would like, and he kept trying to eat pieces as long as he is, and I was worried he'd choke. Will test pine shavings again weekly as those would be best if he would only not eat them!

Lots of love!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
okay okay okay okay! I'm really sorry it's been so long in between photos, I've been so busy trying to make sure Basil is living the high-life (and most importantly healthy and happy) I haven't had enough time for my own life lately. So, mini photo flood time! 7 days, 1 Week old: Weight 89 grams, Length 20cm, Height 18cm (birth- 37g, 10cm, 5cm) Photos taken on a "Ballerina" outfit I had on for a themed kids play date this day which mostly consisted of a corset and a lace petticoat I made, he looks so cute in all the lace! Bonus cameo of me trying to hide! 13 days old: He has the most striking and beautiful markings on his face! My little baby eeeeeeee. His bill is so small compared to most domestic ducks I've had, but that's inherit of his species and it just makes him extra adorable. He also has a super sharp downturn at the end for scissoring off our tough grasses and herbs! Also useful for scissoring off pieces of paper towels, newspaper, plastic grip mat, my fingers, etc, etc. 14 days old: BiggerBiggerBigger He also has the most beautiful steel blue-grey legs! Which is not a colour I would have expected as it doesn't match his bill! In the last few days he's started to get very very dandruffy (bird dust awww) because his pin feather sheaths are coming through for his first batch of baby feathers! So cute! He is starting to get prickly to touch, and is always very busy busy preening himself to get beautiful and less itchy. We go on adventures out into the garden at least once a day, at the moment it's raining very heavily and frequently here so we make brief trysts out in between the downpours. But he seems to prefer it that way, as he gets to have a bit of a nap in between all the excitement of exploring. Compare this picture of him with the lettuce to this one from when he was just a few days old! 14 days old on the left, 3 days old on the right. Also compare his physical size in-palm! 14 days old on the left, 3 days old on the right. He is growing so fast my babyyyyy.
love.gif
He's getting much heavier now, I weighed him on Tuesday Morning (14 days old, two weeks) and he was 186 grams!! That is more than five times his hatch weight wow!! What a fatty, hehehehe. He also sticks his neck out very far now and very high, jumps around and easily jumps up into my lap when I sit on the floor, and he runs and flaps his ever growing but still super stubbly little wings more and more. I hope this sates your appetites for photos a bit! Future photos will be slightly lower quality as I am back to a point and shoot instead of the DSLR I was using for these which I only had on loan for a client photoshoot, haha. Thank you Oz for your photos in the interim (WOW so many eggs in the incubator I am very jealous!) and to all for your feedback and support and ideas! For now we are still on paper towels for bedding; tried to mulch our cut grasses up but couldn't get it as small as I would like, and he kept trying to eat pieces as long as he is, and I was worried he'd choke. Will test pine shavings again weekly as those would be best if he would only not eat them! Lots of love!
jumpy.gif
He is getting consistently big! Haha

Last edited:
okay okay okay okay! I'm really sorry it's been so long in between photos, I've been so busy trying to make sure Basil is living the high-life (and most importantly healthy and happy) I haven't had enough time for my own life lately. So, mini photo flood time!

7 days, 1 Week old:

Photos taken on a "Ballerina" outfit I had on for a themed kids play date this day which mostly consisted of a corset and a lace petticoat I made, he looks so cute in all the lace! Bonus cameo of me trying to hide!

13 days old:

He has the most striking and beautiful markings on his face! My little baby eeeeeeee. His bill is so small compared to most domestic ducks I've had, but that's inherit of his species and it just makes him extra adorable. He also has a super sharp downturn at the end for scissoring off our tough grasses and herbs! Also useful for scissoring off pieces of paper towels, newspaper, plastic grip mat, my fingers, etc, etc.

14 days old:
BiggerBiggerBigger

He also has the most beautiful steel blue-grey legs! Which is not a colour I would have expected as it doesn't match his bill! In the last few days he's started to get very very dandruffy (bird dust awww) because his pin feather sheaths are coming through for his first batch of baby feathers! So cute! He is starting to get prickly to touch, and is always very busy busy preening himself to get beautiful and less itchy.

We go on adventures out into the garden at least once a day, at the moment it's raining very heavily and frequently here so we make brief trysts out in between the downpours. But he seems to prefer it that way, as he gets to have a bit of a nap in between all the excitement of exploring. Compare this picture of him with the lettuce to this one from when he was just a few days old!

Also compare his physical size in-palm!

He is growing so fast my babyyyyy.
love.gif
He's getting much heavier now, I weighed him on Tuesday Morning (14 days old, two weeks) and he was 186 grams!! That is more than five times his hatch weight wow!! What a fatty, hehehehe. He also sticks his neck out very far now and very high, jumps around and easily jumps up into my lap when I sit on the floor, and he runs and flaps his ever growing but still super stubbly little wings more and more.

I hope this sates your appetites for photos a bit! Future photos will be slightly lower quality as I am back to a point and shoot instead of the DSLR I was using for these which I only had on loan for a client photoshoot, haha.

Thank you Oz for your photos in the interim (WOW so many eggs in the incubator I am very jealous!) and to all for your feedback and support and ideas! For now we are still on paper towels for bedding; tried to mulch our cut grasses up but couldn't get it as small as I would like, and he kept trying to eat pieces as long as he is, and I was worried he'd choke. Will test pine shavings again weekly as those would be best if he would only not eat them!

Lots of love!
jumpy.gif
You are redeemed.

I was going to have to have a private investigator track you down and take pictures over the fence!!

I am glad Basil is a cute duck, but I still wanted an alien

7 days, 1 Week old:

[edited out the other pics] HOLY MOLY This is a gorgeous photo!!! The lighting, the dress,the cuteness it's all so perfect!!! I want to paint this!!

I was thinking about you and Basil yesterday. How are you guys and how big is he now?

I hope you have good luck with your egg,the whole story sounds so cool but you need to get the humidity up to as close as 100% as you can

Back
Top Bottom