New barred rock chick. Can anyone guess what gender. Thanks!

Ours are pets too. We are breeding our pair to bring up the population of our breed and the rabbits which do not fit standard or cannot find homes are sold or eaten as meat rabbits. This will be our first time, so hopefully we are able to manage properly. What breed of rabbits do you have?
One is a Dutch, one is a Himalayan, and one is a Florida White that I rescued from a breeder that sells to labs.

My daughter loves the look of the dutch. The other two breeds we have seen, but are less familiar with. Glad to hear your rabbits have a happy ending. Our puppy dog had a sad beginning, but has had a great ending. She is getting old now and it is hard to see her struggle to do things she used to do easily. She was a victim of severe abuse and neglect. We got her when she was nine months and she already had reconstructive surgery. It is sad how animals can be mismanaged and mistreated. But...how would anything thrive if there were not predators and prey, right?

As a child I made my parents stop at EVERY road kill, just to make sure the animal was not suffering. Can you believe that?

I agree with you. I dont what to know my food that is why I have a 7 year old rooster ha ha

That would be our first choice :) However, we are not the type of people who freak out at the thought of raising our on food. We have butchered drakes before and we plan to get into raising meat rabbits. Ideally we would like to not buy meat which was maltreated and forced fed as well as pumped full of hormones and antibiotics. We love our animals and consider them family pets. But thanks for the tip!
I so wish I had the land to raise and grow our own meat. I love the idea of my family getting clean meat that hasn't been stuffed full of hormones.

I so wish I had the land to raise and grow our own meat. I love the idea of my family getting clean meat that hasn't been stuffed full of hormones.

Us too! We actually do not have land. We have only an acre, but we plan to utilize it all. Rabbits are a good way to raise your own meat and not take up much space. Their manure is great fertilizer. Their meat is the healthiest. You can produce six pounds of rabbit meat on the same feed and water it takes to have one pound of cow meat. Their pelts can be used for blankets or whatever. The breed we have is critically endangered and everyone is encouraged to use them for pets, show, meat, and fur. It is said, if people did begin to use them for meat and fur their population will return. Anyways...I won't bore you with all the details, but we really want to save the American Chinchillas. They are the best breed we have ever seen.

Yeah! How can everyone guess the same? What does everyone know that I do not? .....please share
droolin.gif
Have a look at these threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44187/barred-rock-chicks-sex

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/643481/sexing-barred-rocks/10

Us too! We actually do not have land. We have only an acre, but we plan to utilize it all. Rabbits are a good way to raise your own meat and not take up much space. Their manure is great fertilizer. Their meat is the healthiest. You can produce six pounds of rabbit meat on the same feed and water it takes to have one pound of cow meat. Their pelts can be used for blankets or whatever. The breed we have is critically endangered and everyone is encouraged to use them for pets, show, meat, and fur. It is said, if people did begin to use them for meat and fur their population will return. Anyways...I won't bore you with all the details, but we really want to save the American Chinchillas. They are the best breed we have ever seen.
Definitely not boring!! We have 1 acre as well. I will have to look into meat rabbits

Update photos

Does everyone still feel confident hen? I just thought it would be good to update photos as she grows so anyone who refers to this can compare.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom