New breed project

HappyDuckie

🙄🤚 Almighty Queen of Orplingtons 🥶🙏💙
Sep 30, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
Hey everyone! I've seen loads of posts of people making their own breeds, and I wanted to join in :D. The thing is, I have no idea what to do. If anyone could give ideas, or even think some of the crosses would look cool, please say so!
Breeds I have are: Easter eggers, a Columbian Wyandotte, some golden comets, a silkie hen and roo, a BB red old english game rooster, a buff brahma, two buff orpington hens, cornish x hen, and a few barnyard mutts. Thanks in advance! I may also do something with ducks- breeds I have are pekin, blue swedish, and two golden layers. The blue swedish is a drake, and I think one of the golden layers is also.

Hey everyone! I've seen loads of posts of people making their own breeds, and I wanted to join in :D. The thing is, I have no idea what to do. If anyone could give ideas, or even think some of the crosses would look cool, please say so!
Breeds I have are: Easter eggers, a Columbian Wyandotte, some golden comets, a silkie hen and roo, a BB red old english game rooster, a buff brahma, two buff orpington hens, cornish x hen, and a few barnyard mutts. Thanks in advance! I may also do something with ducks- breeds I have are pekin, blue swedish, and two golden layers. The blue swedish is a drake, and I think one of the golden layers is also.
I think a cool breed combination would be silkie and Old English game. Like with the body type of an OEGB but the crest of a silkie?

How about a project to produce a quiet crowing rooster. Not actually quiet, but lower decibel than some. I am sure it could be done if one selected for it.

My rooster, Adam, only crows with decibels in the 90's when you are right next to him, which is apparently relatively quiet. This makes it more likely that I can keep him. It would be great to be able to get someone like him reliably.

How about a project to produce a quiet crowing rooster. Not actually quiet, but lower decibel than some. I am sure it could be done if one selected for it.

My rooster, Adam, only crows with decibels in the 90's when you are right next to him, which is apparently relatively quiet. This makes it more likely that I can keep him. It would be great to be able to get someone like him reliably.
I totally agree, this is a great idea!!

What breed is he? My silkie roo crows really quiet too.

I think most landraces are designed to fit each breeder’s specific needs. Like if I wanted a prolific egg layer that laid large blue eggs, was fribro melanistic, heat tolerant and tame, I’d start with things like Leghorns, Cream Legbars, maybe Ameraucana, and Ayam Cemani and focus on fixing one trait at a time before I focus on the next.

So I’d say breed what interests you. Do you want an autosexing meat bird? A good broody to hatch things out for you? A layer? Cold tolerant? Heat tolerant? Both? Have fun!

Last edited:
Think about something you desire that a breed doesn’t already have. If a breed already has that, get that instead.
People often become popular with their breeding projects, but rarely get them off the ground. We can’t really call it a breed if they don’t breed true or no one else wants them. If I were you, I would be proud of my birds the way they are.
If you want to make a big difference in this world, adopt a heritage breed. If everyone tried inventing a different breed in their backyard, they’d no longer have the genetic material to create them from.
I’m glad you’re eager to try breeding chickens. It can be exciting, just as it’s exciting to dream of new possibilities.
I think you’ll find when you’ve poured blood, sweat, and tears into them, you could never dream of owning anything else.
FDE1D62B-9E23-4508-A85C-D90AA5FA9214.jpeg
Queenie approves of your enthusiasm.

Back
Top Bottom