New breed project

I think I've thought up what I'm going to do. I want silkies, but bigger, more eggs, and more cold-hardy. I've got a silkie hen and roo, and I was thinking about using buff brahmas and buff orpingtons, and some golden comets. I'd have it in blue, black, and white. Also, my silkies I have is a white hen and a blue roo with gold on his neck. Let me know what you think, and any tips are welcome

Think about something you desire that a breed doesn’t already have. If a breed already has that, get that instead.
People often become popular with their breeding projects, but rarely get them off the ground. We can’t really call it a breed if they don’t breed true or no one else wants them. If I were you, I would be proud of my birds the way they are.
If you want to make a big difference in this world, adopt a heritage breed. If everyone tried inventing a different breed in their backyard, they’d no longer have the genetic material to create them from.
I’m glad you’re eager to try breeding chickens. It can be exciting, just as it’s exciting to dream of new possibilities.
I think you’ll find when you’ve poured blood, sweat, and tears into them, you could never dream of owning anything else.
View attachment 2361926 Queenie approves of your enthusiasm.
Now all I want in this world is Queenie's approval

I think I've thought up what I'm going to do. I want silkies, but bigger, more eggs, and more cold-hardy. I've got a silkie hen and roo, and I was thinking about using buff brahmas and buff orpingtons, and some golden comets. I'd have it in blue, black, and white. Also, my silkies I have is a white hen and a blue roo with gold on his neck. Let me know what you think, and any tips are welcome
That sounds amazing! I think that you may have some issues with the color-do you have any white or blue hens or roos to help the project a long? Crossing with buff birds may introduce some color issues.

I have a white silkie hen and a blue silkie roo
I know, any larger birds to cross the silkies with that are white or blue? You said that you wanted to have this new breed in blue, black, and white, and introducing buff coloring into the breeding lines may present a problem. Keeping a blue roo with a blue or black hen would help keep the colors they way you like, and same with white.

I know, any larger birds to cross the silkies with that are white or blue? You said that you wanted to have this new breed in blue, black, and white, and introducing buff coloring into the breeding lines may present a problem. Keeping a blue roo with a blue or black hen would help keep the colors they way you like, and same with white.
Ah ok, I thought you meant silkies. I am first focusing on size and egg laying, and for those attributes the only birds I have are buff orpington, buff brahma, and golden comet. For coloring, after I have those attributes, I do have some black and white birds I could use. Also some gray/lavender EEs.

Ah ok, I thought you meant silkies. I am first focusing on size and egg laying, and for those attributes the only birds I have are buff orpington, buff brahma, and golden comet. For coloring, after I have those attributes, I do have some black and white birds I could use. Also some gray/lavender EEs.
You may want to ask @MysteryChicken about her giant silkie project plans. I was just thinking that it may be difficult to make sure the colors would breed true properly after introducing the buff into the lines :) I'm excited to see how this turns out!

You may want to ask @MysteryChicken about her giant silkie project plans. I was just thinking that it may be difficult to make sure the colors would breed true properly after introducing the buff into the lines :) I'm excited to see how this turns out!
I saw her post, and yes she may have some input. I'm excited, too! Will be starting the project soon, the buff orpingtons and brahma haven't started laying/crowing yet.

I'm thinking that the Brahma may be a pullet. This interferes with my plans a bit, as the orps are also pullets. I already have too many roos, so I guess its a good thing lol. I think I may add Cochin to the mix, though. I'm going to a chicken trading event soon, and I'll be getting a laying hen. So, the project will be started in the next few weeks. I'll post a update on Saturday regarding what breed I get.

Back
Top Bottom