New Bunny Please Help!

Isablahblah

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
I am getting a new bunny and just wanted to know what i can and can not feed it. other websites are confuseing me? also what are other things that can kill a bunny! THANKS BYCs!
woot.gif

Greens and Vegetables

Carrots (limited)
Carrot Tops
Dandelion
Salad Savoy
Kale
Swiss Chard
Mustard Greens
Turnip Greens
Collard Greens
Bok Choy
Spinach
Radish Tops

Herbs

Cilantro
Parsley
Basil
Dill
Mint
Lemon Balm

Lettuce

Romaine
Endive
Escarole
Green Leaf

Fruits

Cantalope
Watermelon
Tomato
Strawberry
Blueberry
Apple
Pear
Banana
Orange

Plain Rabbit Pellets

Alfalfa (rabbits younger than 7 months)
Timothy (adult rabbits)

Hay

Timothy
Orchard
Brome
Oat
Bermuda Grass

Im sure people ship rabbits but its gotta be extremely stressful for the bunny.

My rabbits eat a measured amount of pellets, grass hay, and an occasional fruit or veggie treat.

I've gotten rabbits from as far away as England, and shipped them to as far away as Japan, very very few issues.

I keep it simple .. a good pelleted diet, some fresh grass hay, and grass, or veggies as a snack only ..

Rabbits actually handled being shipped pretty well.. even traveling to shows and staying overnite and being in a noisy show barn .. most tolerate it just fine.

When feeding greens, avoid cabbage and iceberg lettuce. Not good for bunny tummies. In the spring, I add fresh clover to my bunnies' pellets (no chemicals of course) and I also dig the dandelions from my lawn instead of spraying them. Mine loooooove the dandelions.

As their primary diet, mine get pellets and hay with about a quarter of a cup of greens, but no greens until bunnies are at least 4 mos old. I usually don't introduce them to greens until around six mos and then do it sparingly.

Remember that carrots are mostly sugar and should be given sparingly.

Some of those websites had me soooooooooo nervous about feeding my bunnies when I first started. They make it sound like one false move and you bunny will fall over dead. Just start out with a good basic pellet and hay and gradually add a little bit of fresh into the diet.

Last edited:
Definately go EASY on the fresh treats for a while. If it's not used to them, it can cause havoc (and death) to get too much at once. I would also recommend yogurt with live cultures and fresh pineapple to assist with any digestive stress from the trip. Bunnies can be quite fragile.
bun.gif

Good advice from everyone.
I just wanted to add: when you do start giving fresh food, just feed a teaspoon a day to start with. They have to adjust to it.
Watch your bunnies poop, if it changes consistency, stop feeding the fresh food.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom