New Chick Conundrum

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
I am planning on adding 6 chicks to my flock this year. Buff Orpingtons, SLW, and Speckeled Sussex. My issue is that the stores are getting these breeds in at different times. Has anyone had experience on obtaining chicks in staggered time frames. Looks like I may need to wait a couple weeks after I get my first breed for the next one to be available. The SS hasn't appeared yet on their list of expected breeds. :( Will it be OK to put them together if I get them a couple of weeks apart if they come from the same hatchery? Will there be any integration issues with the differing ages since they are still young chicks?

This is a good question. And my experience is that the longer the timeline, the riskier it is that new additions will get picked on. 1 week has been fine for me, I haven't gone past 2 weeks as the difference is pretty substantial, they grow so fast. If it's going to be 2 weeks or more, can you just separate them at first? Put a divider in the brooder for a while and slowly remove it (like remove, put back, remove, put back, remove.)

I agree with @SandyRiverChick. That’s a pretty big size difference. It CAN be attempted with LOTS of monitoring. I’ve been successful with brooding Seramas, other bantams, and a few large fowl together. I was able to CLOSELY monitor them though. I’d just brood them separately, if you have the space for it. That way, you won’t be worrying whether older chicks will be pecking at or trampling on (I assume) 2-3 day old chicks. Would love to see photos of your new chicks. 😊

Will it be OK to put them together if I get them a couple of weeks apart if they come from the same hatchery? Will there be any integration issues with the differing ages since they are still young chicks?
Quarantine not technically required coming from hatchery.. 2 weeks apart can be easy integration as long as the new chicks are strong enough and 3 weeks is really pushing it in MY experience.

Pecking order also starts to develop right around that 3 week old mark. Prior to that it's just innocent communal eat, drink, sleep.. try to get there first for healthy competition, they all are learning from one another.

Consider.. ordering directly from the hatchery yourself. Many have a 3 chick minimum. Or consider getting two breeds and add the third next year to combat the winter lull in eggs.

Ok, the style of brooder we use would make it very easy to partition it down the middle. already have 2 of feeders & waterers so that's covered. I think I have located a store that will have the breeds I am looking for all within the same week, so hopefully I won't have an issue. I will be prepared tho, just in case I have to wait a couple weeks. Thanks for the info y'all!

Yeah I agree with the above it's going to be rough anything beyond a week is just asking for the youngest to have issues or possibly get bullied.

Meyer's currently allows you to order as many as you want you don't have a limit per bird, and come april the minimum you have to order to ship is three. (https://meyerhatchery.com/products/pages/shipping-payment). Good luck!

Ok, the style of brooder we use would make it very easy to partition it down the middle. already have 2 of feeders & waterers so that's covered. I think I have located a store that will have the breeds I am looking for all within the same week, so hopefully I won't have an issue. I will be prepared tho, just in case I have to wait a couple weeks. Thanks for the info y'all!
Good plan! Every spring when the "chick schedule," comes out at my local store I do the same analysis, trying to get the breeds that I want on the same delivery week. It's rough!

Back
Top Bottom