New chicken mama, lots of questions

Skwishface

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
Hi everybody! I'm new here, so please forgive me if I'm asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere (just give me links to the relevant threads and pat me on the head). ;)

I've just gotten my very first flock of little chickens, and I'm ... well, I'm in love. Who wouldn't be, with a face like this?

Anyhoo, we've got 3 Ameraucanas, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Silver-laced Wyandotte, all about two weeks old-ish. I've named them after the main ladies in Steel Magnolias (the ones who don't die) in the hopes that this will encourage them all to grow up to be girls. Which brings me to my questions ...

How soon can I tell if one of my girls is actually a boy? We live in suburbia, so a rooster would have to find a new home.

I've noticed that sometimes their poops get all foamy/runny/light brown. Is this cause for concern or diet adjustment?

I keep seeing mention of medicated chick feed, but not a lot of explanation as to the reasons to use it. Can someone 'splain? Right now, my girls are on organic starter that looks like sawdust with bits of corn thrown in. They don't really seem to care about treats yet, but they will because I certainly care about giving them treats.

Just last night, for the first time I noticed that when one chick gets separated from the rest, she'll cheep ever so urgently until they come find her. Cutest. Moment. Ever. Is this a sign that they're becoming a flock and not just a ragtag handful of fuzzy birds? Can I expect flock solidarity to work in their favor to help keep them safe later on in life?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi everybody! I'm new here, so please forgive me if I'm asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere (just give me links to the relevant threads and pat me on the head). ;)

I've just gotten my very first flock of little chickens, and I'm ... well, I'm in love. Who wouldn't be, with a face like this?

Anyhoo, we've got 3 Ameraucanas, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Silver-laced Wyandotte, all about two weeks old-ish. I've named them after the main ladies in Steel Magnolias (the ones who don't die) in the hopes that this will encourage them all to grow up to be girls. Which brings me to my questions ...

How soon can I tell if one of my girls is actually a boy? We live in suburbia, so a rooster would have to find a new home.

I've noticed that sometimes their poops get all foamy/runny/light brown. Is this cause for concern or diet adjustment?

I keep seeing mention of medicated chick feed, but not a lot of explanation as to the reasons to use it. Can someone 'splain? Right now, my girls are on organic starter that looks like sawdust with bits of corn thrown in. They don't really seem to care about treats yet, but they will because I certainly care about giving them treats.

Just last night, for the first time I noticed that when one chick gets separated from the rest, she'll cheep ever so urgently until they come find her. Cutest. Moment. Ever. Is this a sign that they're becoming a flock and not just a ragtag handful of fuzzy birds? Can I expect flock solidarity to work in their favor to help keep them safe later on in life?

Thanks in advance! :)

Welcome to BYC!!!
I am no expert by any means but I have raised my share of chicks so I can maybe help out with a few of your questions....
Your first quesiton was.... How can I tell if they are girls or boys...Well thats the thing unless you have certain breed that shows gender coloring at hatching or is bred for feather sexing you cant until they get a bit older. Around a few weeks the boys combs will get a bit redder and bigger than the pullets (Young hen) and just over all temperment some boys will run at you at younger ages when you try to hold others just show Roo behavior.

That poop your seeing is perfectly normal chick poop. Mine have it all the time. They could be still releasing the yolk if they are only a few days old and that is what gives the poop its color...

The reason I give medicated chick feed is to give them vitamins to fight off serious disceases. I feed this feed until they start laying others dont. Thats just my opinion. Your organic starter sounds good I would give mine organic if I could but where I live $50 a bag just is too much to feed my always growing flock.

For your last question, from the time you put those 3 fuzzy butts together they started making a pecking order. From here on out you will have a top chick/ chicken and a bottom chick/ chicken. You will be able to single them out eventually when they get bigger.

If you add to your flock which you most likely will (We call it chicken math here :) that pecking order will change which may cause some fighting and disrupt the flocks order. After a few weeks though they will figure out whos the boss and move on....when this day comes you may want to read up on integrating new members to your flock, tons of threads out there to help!

Again Welcome to BYC! Hope I helped a little bit at least. There are TONS of helpful people on this site thats why I love it so much! Good luck with your new flock! :)

OMG!! Your baby is ADORABLE!! Welcome to BYC!! I just got my very first chickies TODAY, so I can in no way answer your questions! LOL I have been on this site for many months now and I can tell you with total sincerity that many-many-many people will be able to help! (((hugs))) & WELCOME!!!

welcome-byc.gif

celebrate.gif
Yay Babies!!!! And
welcome-byc.gif
This site is almost as addicting as the chickens them selfs! Looks like your questions were answered so far so I just wanted to say Hi and happy new babies day.

Flock dynamics work out so early. But your first group will always be the closest and newly integrated birds will never be the BFF's that you find in your first flock. Enjoy them! Enjoy BYC!

frow.gif
Welcome to the flock! That is an adorable Bard Rock chick! The thing around here is we all fall victim to chicken math! I started out wanting about a half a dozen layers and I am way over my quota! Like all of us you will end up with more chickens then you planned for. Chicks seem small and fragile but they are really very resilient little buggers! I won't quote him specifically but Scarlett456 seems to have answered your more pressing questions. He got most of his info from this site or from me. Since I got my advice on here I guess I didn't really help him out much! The adorable little beings will tell you what they need, all the time, loudly! They can be kinda loud at times. My girls make more noise then my boys combined! I'm sure my neighbors could kill me about 3:15 every morning when my girls start singing their egg song! See, when 1 lays an egg she starts to sing to let the others know and before you know it all the hens are singing the egg song! Well enough about the noise. Welcome and I hope you enjoy this site and your little flock!

frow.gif
Welcome to the flock! That is an adorable Bard Rock chick! The thing around here is we all fall victim to chicken math! I started out wanting about a half a dozen layers and I am way over my quota! Like all of us you will end up with more chickens then you planned for. Chicks seem small and fragile but they are really very resilient little buggers! I won't quote him specifically but Scarlett456 seems to have answered your more pressing questions. He got most of his info from this site or from me. Since I got my advice on here I guess I didn't really help him out much! The adorable little beings will tell you what they need, all the time, loudly! They can be kinda loud at times. My girls make more noise then my boys combined! I'm sure my neighbors could kill me about 3:15 every morning when my girls start singing their egg song! See, when 1 lays an egg she starts to sing to let the others know and before you know it all the hens are singing the egg song! Well enough about the noise. Welcome and I hope you enjoy this site and your little flock!

Haha, my flock wouldn't even think of waking up at 3:15, I've gone out there at 8:00 am and they were just coming off of the roosts!

Haha, my flock wouldn't even think of waking up at 3:15, I've gone out there at 8:00 am and they were just coming off of the roosts!

lau.gif
The funny thing is if they sing their song at 3:15 I don't really notice anymore but if they don't sing it is like a pin dropped and I will wake up and wonder why they aren't making any noise. Gotta love the adorable little creatures. Just when you think you have them figured out they go and change the rules on you!

Back
Top Bottom