New chicken mom with 4 mystery chicks

ac3070

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2016
Hi everyone!

This is my first post on BYC though I have been searching and stalking like mad for a few months now :)

We got our first four chicks (allegedly all pullets) about 2 1/2 weeks ago, when they were just a few days old. We had requested 2 EE, 1 barred rock, 1 buff orp but when my friend made it to the store to pick up the store said their order was all screwed up, they didn't get an EEs, and they had dumped their 100 chicks into one bin and were just allowing everyone to pick what they wanted from the chicks. The gal wasn't sure what any of the chicks were so my friend (who has quite a few chickens of his own) picked four for me. Here are their picture and his guesses as to what they are, and my thoughts as to what they may actually be. It sure is fun watching them grow and I know we will eventually figure it out but if you have any guesses I'm all ears!

The chicks on day 1 at home:

Friend guesses from L to R: no guess (chipmunk one), Rhode Island Red (brown one), Barred Rock (black one), Buff Orp (yellow)

Action shot:

The girls about a week ago:

Chip--maybe she is an EE after all?

This is Feather, friend thought she was a Barred Rock but I'm thinking maybe silver laced wyandotte?

Gertie--doesn't look much like a buff orp to me when I compare pictures. Thoughts?

Blurry shot of Mocha--probably RIR?

Final action shot of them playing outside today, approx 3 weeks old, too much shadow to be much good but I thought it was cute nonetheless:

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Welcome to BYC and chick keeping!
Chip is not looking like an Easter Egger - the chipmunk pattern is common to many breeds and crosses. If you can get a good shot of her as she is now we can likely sort it out right quick for you -- she has feathered in quite a bit and that will help sort out which of the breeds she likely is.
Feather is a SLW as you thought - as a chick she had no head spot (which would have indicated being barred) and did have the "painted face" of a SLW.
Gertie is not a buff orp - again, if you can get a good shot of her as she is now we can sort out her ID now that she has feathered in.
Mocha may well be a RIR - though there are a few "red" breeds that she may be (Production Red, New Hampshire Red)
They are at a good age so that if you can get nice, clean shots of each in natural lighting we can see what we need to see.

Thank you so much for your quick reply-I will take some more pictures tomorrow!!!

And actually I am quite pleased that Feather is a SLW as I really wanted one but they weren't even offered as part of the order! Funny how that works out.

-Alison

Welcome to BYC and chick keeping!
Chip is not looking like an Easter Egger - the chipmunk pattern is common to many breeds and crosses. If you can get a good shot of her as she is now we can likely sort it out right quick for you -- she has feathered in quite a bit and that will help sort out which of the breeds she likely is.
Feather is a SLW as you thought - as a chick she had no head spot (which would have indicated being barred) and did have the "painted face" of a SLW.
Gertie is not a buff orp - again, if you can get a good shot of her as she is now we can sort out her ID now that she has feathered in.
Mocha may well be a RIR - though there are a few "red" breeds that she may be (Production Red, New Hampshire Red)
They are at a good age so that if you can get nice, clean shots of each in natural lighting we can see what we need to see.
x2

All pictures open up a bit bigger if you click them :)

Gertie:

Chip:

Mocha:

I'm enjoying the guessing game! Thanks for your help!

-alison

Last edited:
This forum is quite busy so I hope it's ok if I "bump" the thread in hopes of it being seen!

D.gif

This forum is quite busy so I hope it's ok if I "bump" the thread in hopes of it being seen!

D.gif
Absolutely - as you noted it is very busy and posts can quickly move from page 1 into "never never land" and get lost in a matter of hours

Chip is feathering in with a salmon breast - combined with the chipmunk pattern as a chick this would indicate she is likely either a Welsummer or a Brown Leghorn -- they are pretty similar in appearance at this stage - as her body fills out and her overall build starts to show and especially once the color of her earlobes develops it will be apparent which she is. The good news is that the salmon breast means she is definitely a she as males in this coloration feather in with black breasts.

The chicklets are now about four weeks old and I thought updated pictures might help my guessing game!

First up is Mocha, reported to be RIR when we got her...

Next up is Chip. At last guess, possibly a Welsummer or brown leghorn:

Third is Gertie, who was "supposed" to be a buff orp. She is clearly not buff.

Lastly, here is Feather. Is she still looking like a SLW? Her silver spots don't seem to be getting much bigger. She also doesn't seem to be growing much of a comb.

Mocha looks like a hatchery quality RIR, Chip I think is probably a Brown Leghorn but not 100% sure, Gertie is probably Production Red, and Feather looks like a Silver Laced Wyandotte and I also think she is a he.

Back
Top Bottom