New chicken momma

Dizzywitch

Songster
5 Years
Jul 12, 2014
Utah
I sort of accidentally became a first time chicken mom the end of May when I met Igor, a two month old naked neck rooster. He was brought to school (I teach) for an end of year production and afterwards needed to either be rehomed or end up as dinner. I picked him up and he just snuggled in so I was hooked! They said they would keep him for a couple of days. Off I went to learn about chickens... I saw that they shouldn't be by themselves so I bought four 4-6 week old girls from the ranch store:
Buffy, a buff colored Orpington,
Lucy, a black sex link,
Silver, a silver Wyandotte,
Killer, who turned out to be what I think is a barred rock.
When I got Igor he came with two surprises: Rosemary, his 8 week old girlfriend and Gertrude, a year old American game hen with attitude (she hates being told chickens do not belong in the house)!

The hubby was not happy, especially when I took over his shed as a a temporary chicken coop...Which is how I found this site. So many of you have pictures of such beautiful coops and I've read so many ideas of what to do and what not to do. I especially find the chick math stuff funny... already wish I had gotten a couple more! And the advise and knowledge you all have posted has been an incredible help these last weeks so thank you one and all!

My two of my other babies have fur, Zack, a rescue black lab and responsible of Killer's name ( the bird ran, he retrieved and brought her to me, not a mark but very slobbered on, a badge of honor for Killer and Zack's only bird transgression), and DAC, a rescue cat. Yes, his name stands for what you think! He earned it by bringing mice, birds, bugs,... Into the house and turning them loose.

And I really shouldn't forget my human babies: a son who just moved to Oregon, a daughter who lives in Colorado, and my baby, who is still in college.

For fun, when I'm not goofing off with my two and four legged kids, I garden. That's been interesting with the chickens. I keep telling myself that their manure and bug hunting skills are worth the trampled plants.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you are really enjoying your new flock! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new birds..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Here is the link to our coops pages as well if you need some ideas for a new coop or to finish off your shed...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

Thank you TwoCrows and Mountain Peeps! The learning center is where I've spent quite a bit of the last month... So much great information! :) If I would've know this much about chickens before getting them I would've gotten them sooner :)

Welcome to BYC! You've got some good hardy breeds there. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens; friendly egg laying machines. I'm glad that Zach did not injure Killer, but I would be careful regarding Zach. Many experienced BYC members can testify that dogs and chickens don't usually mix well. Good luck with your flock.

Really enjoyed your introduction post - sounds like it is wild at your place. Maybe the game hen was a house chicken at some point in her life and intends to pick up where she left off. There is a thread for people with housechickens - my friend has 4 banties.

Really  enjoyed your introduction post - sounds like it is wild at your place.  Maybe the game hen was a house chicken at some point in her life and intends to pick up where she left off.  There is a thread for people with housechickens - my friend has 4 banties.

Oh! No! I could just see the hubby if he came home and I was sitting on the couch with the chickens watching TV!! :lol: I'm not sure if his head would explode or he would turn around and walk out. Chickens are not his idea of fun or pets but neither are the cat or dog or fish or lizard.... All I can say is he knew what he was getting when he married me and after 28 years he hasn't traded me in yet :)

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington! BYC is the best fowl website you can find.
woot.gif
I hope you feel glad you signed up! In our flock we have great people and it is always great to have a new member:) In our flock, we have no pecking order!

frow.gif

By the way, not saying that you will do anything bad, but no fowl play
big_smile.png

TwoCrows has given you good links:)

Back
Top Bottom