New chicken momma

I sort of accidentally became a first time chicken mom the end of May when I met Igor, a two month old naked neck rooster. He was brought to school (I teach) for an end of year production and afterwards needed to either be rehomed or end up as dinner. I picked him up and he just snuggled in so I was hooked! They said they would keep him for a couple of days. Off I went to learn about chickens... I saw that they shouldn't be by themselves so I bought four 4-6 week old girls from the ranch store:
Buffy, a buff colored Orpington,
Lucy, a black sex link,
Silver, a silver Wyandotte,
Killer, who turned out to be what I think is a barred rock.
When I got Igor he came with two surprises: Rosemary, his 8 week old girlfriend and Gertrude, a year old American game hen with attitude (she hates being told chickens do not belong in the house)!

The hubby was not happy, especially when I took over his shed as a a temporary chicken coop...Which is how I found this site. So many of you have pictures of such beautiful coops and I've read so many ideas of what to do and what not to do. I especially find the chick math stuff funny... already wish I had gotten a couple more! And the advise and knowledge you all have posted has been an incredible help these last weeks so thank you one and all!

My two of my other babies have fur, Zack, a rescue black lab and responsible of Killer's name ( the bird ran, he retrieved and brought her to me, not a mark but very slobbered on, a badge of honor for Killer and Zack's only bird transgression), and DAC, a rescue cat. Yes, his name stands for what you think! He earned it by bringing mice, birds, bugs,... Into the house and turning them loose.

And I really shouldn't forget my human babies: a son who just moved to Oregon, a daughter who lives in Colorado, and my baby, who is still in college.

For fun, when I'm not goofing off with my two and four legged kids, I garden. That's been interesting with the chickens. I keep telling myself that their manure and bug hunting skills are worth the trampled plants.

Welcome to BYC. I have a friend in Ogden that has 4 new Eastereggers. They are enjoying them.

Thank you everyone for being so welcoming! This is such an incredible website with SO much information! :)

Hagar3- Ogden is just west of where I live! I'm already starting to think about what to add to my flock and so far the EEs are at the top of the list. The blue and green eggs are just so fun! :jumpy

Thank you everyone for being so welcoming! This is such an incredible website with SO much information! :)

Your right near my home town. I'm now in Nevada. Just wait till you get one with a hurt foot or something else small. My DH doesn't like my chickies and he came home one day I had a little one on the couch with me. Hubby just rolled his eyes. And same as you if mine hasn't traded me in after 14 years I think I can get away with a few things. ;)

Hagar3- Ogden is just west of where I live! I'm already starting to think about what to add to my flock and so far the EEs are at the top of the list. The blue and green eggs are just so fun! :jumpy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom