New chicks and the old ladies

NOLA farm

Chirping
Dec 2, 2016
New Orleans
On a random whim my daughter convinced me we needed baby chicks a week and a half ago. My lovely wife agreed so we picked up 6 chicks to our flock of 7 ladies. I decided heat lamps during a heat wave sounded like a waste of money. I also decided that buying a"kennel" seemed like a waste of money.

In my head I thought a coop within the coop had to be the best way. I had some 2x4 welded wire in the shed so I made a quick "box" within the coop for the new additions. Then they started escaping over and over so I put some tiles around the inside and was satisfied they would not get out. Then we sleep...

I woke up and started watching the "chicken coop show" from my bed. Then I noticed the littles were running around the main coop with the ladies. I almost spilled my coffee and ran to the rescue. Placed them back in maximum security, or so I thought, and within minutes they were out again. The problem was they could not get back in easily or even at all so I removed the tile wall.

Next thing you know, this coop within a coop is a place for rest for the new additions. They mingle when they want and my Buff Orpington chases them a little but then will graze with them by her side. So I decided to let nature take over.

By day three they are all acting like they have been scratching the same dirt for years.

Well this weekend I convinced myself I needed 4 more chicks so I called the wife and she agreed again! Now the old chicks are leading the new chicks and the ladies are just living like nothing has changed.

Needless to say an addition has begun. They will benefit from ground square foot area of 8x16 covered and 12x16 uncovered. Then a slight change to the roosting layout and we are good. I already have 6 egg holes so I think I am set there, please tell me if I am unaware of a change in 2-3 hens per hole.

At least in my flock, this chick introduction seems just as easy as the adding of 8 girls initially. I think the coop within the coop really helps too.

What do all of you do with new additions??

Sounds like you got a little lucky and your flock is very mellow but I'm sure the safe space you made helped some too, as the chicks could fit through but the adults could not. Really nice that it all worked out for you!
We certainly fee lucky, or like "chicken whisperers" sometimes!

We also had one old girl spiraling a week before we got the chicks. After another week and a half she finally stopped eating and drinking altogether and last night I had to cull her.

You mentioned mellow flock. I was amazed that none of the other hens picked on her while in bad health. They all actually spent time close to her off and on through each day. The babies did too. All the big girls seemed to say farewell and intensely wonder where I was taking her last night.

Chickens are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom