New Chicks!

Hippie Chicks Mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Near Old Forge NY

Just picked up my new chicks at The Poultry Hatchery in Fayette NY. Awesome facility and staff. They are a "no kill" facility which means they do not just discard their unwanted chicks. They will process unwanted birds and donate the meat to churches and food pantries. Can't say enough about them.

[email protected]

Just picked up my new chicks at The Poultry Hatchery in Fayette NY. Awesome facility and staff. They are a "no kill" facility which means they do not just discard their unwanted chicks. They will process unwanted birds and donate the meat to churches and food pantries. Can't say enough about them.

[email protected]

Um - congrats on your new babies, but I'm not sure how them processing and donating the meat could possibly make them "no kill". Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of what they are doing - but that's not really the right term for what they are doing.

Oh no, no. They are not killing ANY chickens, they are just not dumping barrels of day old live chicks into grinders for dog food or letting them suffocate as many large facilities do. Many sexed male chicks are automatically dumped for the more desired female chicks. Lets face it, chicks, like humans are 50/50, male/ female. Hens are desired. So most male chicks are disposed of. I am sorry if i confused you with the verbage I used.

Maybe "responsible culling"?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom