New Chicks!

Aw! Yeah I have an austrolop and she was super cute as chick, and still is! I feel bad for your roo though.
1f423.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

Aw! Yeah I have an austrolop and she was super cute as chick, and still is! I feel bad for your roo though.
1f423.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

I've tried everything to stop his attacking but when he sliced my 4 yr olds leg up as he was heing me get an egg that was it.

This was him holding that egg. Seconds later I was fighting the rooster to protect my baby.

Yeah I understand, but I never would do that, I couldn't do it either.:/

I know but I would rather raise a diffrent one by hand and have him safe for my kids. He's very aggressive so unless I want to put others at risk I would rather cull him vs giving him to another family. This way I'll be adding new blood to my flock and getting use to the idea of harvesting my own meat for the freezer. Save $$$ at the store and know exactly what went into the meat. No hormones or growth additives in my meat.

I do understand, I just love animals so much and would rather have a new home for him or find another way. I just couldn't or wouldn't be able to do that. I just think a lot about what if I were the chicken... I know that sounds crazy, but I do. And then I wanna cry cause it's sad
1f62d.png

It is sad. I wanted to keep him alive and break him of the attacking but I've exhausted all options other than giving him away or culling him. If it were up to me I would pass him off but many don't want a rooster that aggressive. At least I know how to put him down without suffering. I can't say the same for others. I'm a hunter and certified butcher so I know how to get the most out of the meat.
It will also help stock my freezer for hurricane season. We salt cure and smoke several days worth of supplies every year before storm season so that if needed we can feed ourselves, our families and friends. Our church is thinking of getting a few freezers and generators and do this as well. Last year we bought over 30 whole chickens and smoked and froze them. This year we will raise our own and not have the store cost.

Once we get the yard and new coop ready we will do 40-50 just for meat. He will just be the start.

It's not my business, I just feel bad for him still!
1f62d.png

I offered him to a lady who has over 100 right now... Not including the ducks, turkeys, goats and other assorted critters. I'm waiting to hear back from her. I will let her have him if she wants. She's my chicken expert from TSC and has helped me a lot this past year.

My husband says to cull him for safety. If she doesn't want him then I won't give him to a lesser experienced owner. She's owned them for over 40 years. She's even gone so far as to offer to dig out her still air incubator until I can get one if momma hens abandons these other 2 eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom