New coop acceptance

drdoct

Songster
Feb 7, 2022
Griffin, GA
I searched through the forums and found bits here and there about new coop acclimation, but thought I would make a post and get ideas.

We're getting our storage building retrofit coop finished up. Right now the 4 pullets and the cockerel are using an old TSC coop. It's ok to get started with, but we're also in the process of bringing up 6 new chick pullets so will need the room in a few months. I've received a lot of good ideas about ventilation and other things from the coop construction section and have incorporated a lot especially on the ventilation side. The new coop is probably 30 feet from the old one.

When the time comes, how do you suggest I get my free range (free thinking) chickens to accept the new coop as their home? I plan on feeding them in coop as well. We don't plan on them having an enclosed run because the intent is to let them just go freely once they accept and use the coop for night protection.

Ideas appreciated.

Block access to the old coop and if they don't get the idea from having their food in it you might have to physically put them in the new coop. A lot of people lock the chickens up for a few days until they get it but I find plopping them in the new coop at night a couple times works just fine. Since you have a rooster you can really just focus on him accepting the new coop because he will get the ladies to bed (ideally).

Back
Top Bottom