New coop and run post/question on fencing for chickens & cat

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
So my chickens current coop and run is just a coop kit from TSC we got on sale which looked way bigger in pictures and even on sale was overpriced for the quality (as the story goes..) and a chain link dog kennel which I realized is just barely too small.

Not sure how big the coop is but it might be 4x4 but I'm pretty sure it's much smaller like 3x3 cause there's only 3 nest boxes. The run is 6x12 I think but the coop sits smack dab in the middle of it and has an enclosed part below. It had it's own tiny run and ramp which got removed so the front is open and the back door is open but the wires not removable so it's still cut off from the rest if it which really makes the run feel much smaller. Not to mention the run, with nothing in it, by basic math could only hold 7.2 birds. I have 8. It was fine when they went out there at 7 weeks but they have grown.

SO.

Needless to say, they need a new coop and run, which I plan on building come spring. Which may be sooner than I think. :p

The new coop I'm thinking will be at least 4x8 but if I want to try to make it 8x8 as 4x8 is kind of bare minimum and they spend a lot of time in there. But 8x8 might be too bulky to have up off the ground? Anyone done it? But that's another question for another day. The run will be as wide as the coop, 8 feet, and between 50 and 60 feet theoretically.

Now I am also looking to make a cat (or some other animal) enclosure next to our garage in a 9 foot by 26 foot space.

Want to do the typical wood framed run thing with both but can go with normal fence method if needed lol

Sooooo my question is...

Would this be sturdy enough and work? Like I said, I was planning to make it wood framed but maybe posts would work better. I mostly wanna know if it would be secure enough from predators? And safe? Chicken run would also be on a slight downhill slope for part of it.

I will get pictures of both potential areas.

This is the fence I was considering/found and am asking about but can use something else. I've also thought about the vinyl coated version.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-ft-x-100-ft-14-Gauge-Welded-Wire-308312HD/204331898/

Thank you in advance.

Well for the run I have used two big dog kennels that are connected to the coop with the two end panels screwed to the side of there 4x8 coop I could get some pics tomarrow if u would like and the run is eleven feet wide and over 30 feet long the coop is 2 feet off the ground and will be lowering it in spring because of the strong winds we get here lately

O I forgot to say they have dog kennels on Craigslist all the time forsale if u like that idea but I didn't buy mine I got them from our dog and goat that recently passed of old age

Thank you both for the help! The run now is an old dog kennel we had lying around (neighbor gave it to us at least 10 years ago when he moved) but I hadn't even thought about just buying more, maybe that would be a good option. I figured it would add up though. But Craigslist is a good idea. And pics would be great!

Well, the openings in the fencing are wide enough to allow weasels and such in, as well as raccoon paws. You may want to wrap with hardware cloth as well.

That is a very good point. I'll have to probably do that then. Although do you think for such a big run that it would be easier or cheaper to just make the whole thing would of hardware cloth? I only thought of it cause it might be easier to work with but maybe not? And I want them to be safe

Well, the openings in the fencing are wide enough to allow weasels and such in, as well as raccoon paws. You may want to wrap with hardware cloth as well.

Oh and also for the cat one since it would be more a daytime/free access hangout than a full time thing do you think the HC matters as much? Though i guess I'd need it if i put any other animal in and I'd rather be safe I guess

Back
Top Bottom