New Coop

Me & My Peeps

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Western MA
Ok here's what I need help on. I have a horse corall thats in a 50' radius, 5' high. I currently have 2" X 4" wire mesh fastened to the existing fence. I am looking to build a coop for Turkeys (BBW's), probably 25 to start with, until I get comfortable with growing them out. A local guy recently decided he didnt want to raise them anymore. A 12 year business, 200+ at T-Giving time and another 200-250 throughout the year. He charged $4.50/lb and had a waiting list. People would put down a non refundable deposit of $40 when ordering, along with the size wanted. He just doesnt have the time or energy anymore and his kids dont want anything to do with it. I'm going to test the waters and do a small batch come spring time.

So here's what I have to work with;
2 - 3'X10' sealed steel tanks that I am converting into mini feed silo's.
12 - 4' X 8' 1/2" pressure treated plywood sheets
4' X 12' steel cattle gate that can be converted to or cut down to a smaller gate.
2 pcs of 8' X 20' rubber EPDM commercial rubber roofing (new)
32 - 4' X 4' wood pallets
Framing guns etc.
2 rolls of 1" X1" aviary netting

So would you build a coop 8' high with the sheets or make it 4' high but longer to allow for the amount of turkey's? Do I have to use the entire corall or can I cut it in half?Any thought's? Should I post pics? The turkeys are going to be strictly for processing. (Ive started a chicken plucker)

Thanks!!

sound exciting but you are starting big
I wish I could help but I've not raised them myself
good luck
pop.gif
can't wait to hear how this turns out

I would suggest tall enough to stand without stooping, or ducking (No pun intended) you will need to clean out the pen. could divide, or leave it as it is, but a corner can be a good thing when catching birds.

I am new to turkeys too, so this is not a great deal of experience talking, but I HATE the one 5' tall coop we have. Guinea pen. whack my head at least once a week. it's a good thing my head is hard.

RobertH

I agree with KRISH I don't know about you but I cant bend over for very long with out by back bothering me.
Turkeys prefer to roost when they sleep and older Turkeys near full grown and double breasted would have problems getting up to high so I would guess 2 to 3 feet high or both stair step the 2"x2" roost boards rip a 2x4 that worked for me with 2 to 3 foot Clarence over the top of the roost bars so the height would be 6 to 8 foot to the ceiling your choice my setup is 4ft off the ground 2ft high with 2ft over that for ceiling height.
Remember to make it as easy as possible for cleaning and plenty of ventilation and since you live up north how to close that ventilation if needed for really bad weather.
I made screen doors with expanded aluminum its tough enough the turkeys cant hurt it and this door swings away and from another direction a solid wood door can be used to cover the doorway in bad weather I also drilled 100 1" holes threw out the coop for general air supply when it is closed up.
My coop is 4ft wide 4ft high 8ft long and sets 4 feet off the ground with doors at each end I can use a push broom to clean it out My height is 6ft 4in tall so this works for me .
I have 17 Red Bourbon Turkeys in there and there is enough roost for all but 4 but I am cutting that number down when there full grown there near 5 months old now.
Under the coop is a nesting area that may or not be used that's 4x4x4 2ft door this is made with pallets and all tied to a 5ft round red oak tree its not going any were.
2x12 10ft board for the ramp to the coop 4 ft up.
The run is 25ft by 30 ft or there abouts the fence is 8ft high and they also free range.
I R A Red Neck and Built it like one to and on the cheep LOL.
I hope this helps you out with your ideas on your project good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom