New Digs - New Pecking Order?

BrindleFinch

Songster
Mar 31, 2018
Upstate, NY
We FINALLY got the girls their upgrade today - a 10x10x6 from a prefab coop. They were getting real cramped!

Anyway, upon moving them all into the new enclosure, they seem to be scrapping a bit more than usual. I'm not sure if I should be concerned, or if it's normal for chickens to pick up a new pecking order or re-establish it when they're in a new location.

I also imagine it's possible the prefab was just so small they didn't really have proper space to spar/hen peck.

I'm not sure if it matters but they're about 5-8 weeks old, and we have one suspected rooster to 9 probable hens. The hens are the ones chest bumping/leaping at one another.

All chciks fight,makes Usually worse than females.Their probably just excited to have more space.Everytime I let mine out thrive cooo or run they go flying around with excitement,a ton of fights happen.Our two suspect males fight the most and the hardest.

A bit young for a real pecking order.....but a new place can make them nervous, but more likely they are just feeling their oats with all that room to romp around in. It's normal for chicks to spar.

Back
Top Bottom