New duckie mom

They aren't on a niacin supplement. I went to the store that sold them to me and they recommended medicated feed. I just got them weaned from it and they are back on that Purina flock starter. They seem to have a decent amount of energy most of the time, they love cuddling with my fiance and I and running around. I kept them inside for a few days to see if the dandelions they were eating was the reason for the poop. I don't think it was. They are growing a lot (they have almost tripled in size) and their big bird feathers are starting to come in. But the bigger one bites the little ones butt while they swim and I think shes breaking them off. The milk jug idea is a really good one. Are there any pictures to help me see what you mean? I'll start adding the apple cider vinegar, is there a time period for that or is it a fairly regular thing? Thank you guys so much, I am just really attached to my ducks and don't want to overlook a real problem or freak out over nothing.

You are doing just fine! :)

Asking questions is the best way to find things out... good job on switching them over... the flock raiser does have the higher amount of niacin so you should be ok there, but brewers yeast is always good to keep on hand for young ducks just in case... Amazon has it, if you search on it for brewers yeast and I think it's the Animed brand that is more bang for your buck, lol... if they show any leg weakness you would want to mix in a tblspn per cup of feed...

Try the ACV (just make sure it has the mother, Braggs is a good one) for a few days and see if that makes a difference... I wouldn't give it every day after that, maybe once or twice a week cuz it also can lower their good gut bacteria...

Unfortunately, most feed store employees don't know the true needs of many animals... I do feel Amiga is correct about medicated feed... ducks are more resistant to things like cocci and that is all medicated feed is for... plus it really doesn't contain the correct dosage to treat cocci, better to just give Corid when needed and no need to give medication when not needed...

I don't have a pic of the jugs, but I found a thread that shows similar... look at post #4 on this thread and you'll see, just don't make the holes quite that big, lol... and keep an eye on them for the ducklings outgrowing them or gunky buildup just change out for a new one...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/148528/how-do-i-find-pics-of-milk-jug-waters-here

Alright, this is what the jug looked like when I

was done.
They both used it, but can't fit inside. And i taped the sides so they wouldn't get hurt.

Update: I've added acv to their water. Now they are hardly going at all and what they do poop out is a mix of almost entirely white liquid, dark brown liquid, and a few solid tan pieces. They've been pretty lethargic for the last few hours. Very needy, too. I can't even go to the bathroom without them practically screaming. They are also running from me when I go to touch them (that's new, they usually climb right into my hand or waddle up to me).

Back
Top Bottom