Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Endless Mts, NE PA
Link: http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_16996283

Quote: New El Paso city ordinances take effect
by Marty Schladen \\ El Paso Times
Posted: 01/03/2011 08:02:24 AM MST

Most provisions of a sweeping ordinance meant to reduce the number of pets killed at the Animal Services Shelter took effect Saturday.

Among the most controversial requirements of the new law is that puppies and kittens younger than a year can't be sold for a profit. The requirement effectively prohibits pet stores from selling dogs and cats, which some animal-rights advocates say are bred under inhumane circumstances.

Animals younger than eight weeks can't be given away except to the shelter or to an approved animal welfare organization. And animal welfare organizations must spay or neuter all animals older then four months before transferring them to someone else.

I am not a fan of puppies and kittens being sold at commercial pet locations, however, this seems a bit an overkill for the general sale of dogs & kittens (when/how do you determine they are being sold for a 'profit?')

Yeah, its an overkill for a well meaning way of curbing the population of unwanted animals.

Well if they can put some yearly fees on keeping breeding or unfixed animals, that might help to pay for the upkeep. My town has already enforced that and the pet ads has gone down to a reasonable number down to one column in the paper.

Sad, isn't it?

Quote:
One more example of the poor excuse for government we so often experience.

A local pet store here brings in dogs and cats from the local Humane Society, or some such, and the "price" is the charge for shots and neutering and such. There may be something tacked on for the pet store, I don't know, but it can't be much, and they have nice cages and such for them, in addition to exercising them regularly. You get some basic info about the animal, like age, personality, training, etc. I see no problem with this. I wonder if an operation like this would be forced to stop with such an ordinance in place, especially if the pet store recovers some of its expenses in the fee.

So what does that do to reputable breeders? After raising just the one litter of puppies, if I included an hourly wage for taking care of them, then I sold them at a huge loss. They left my house crate trained, dewormed, dew claws removed and health checked, all shots current.

If breeders have to raise their puppies for a full year that effectively shuts them all down.

I think the forces of evil are starting to take over.

Nobody, including me, wants to see animals suffer. But you watch, in the future sometime there will not be enough pets to go around and there will be a big black market in puppies and kittens.

Quote:
Or we'll all be out there trapping the feral ones and bringing them in the house.

Aaagghh.

Quote:
I agree that this is the way we are headed.
thumbsup.gif

so you can't sell for a profit or give away except to certain groups...um...so baby animals are of no value and you can't give them homes...sounds like a wonderful plan...wonder how long this law makes it. I guess everyone meets at the city line and has a big animal swap

Animals younger than eight weeks can't be given away except to the shelter or to an approved animal welfare organization

This has peta stamped all over it. I don't like it.​

Back
Top Bottom