New England Chickens AFTER the cold snap

So they say....😳Thats why I check the chooks x2 🧐🐓
They do occasionally get locked out, but can't get smooshed in the door. It usually only happens on bad weather days- severe storms or heavy fog that make it so dark the door thinks it's time to close. I have a camera in the coop so I count the chickens every night, if I don't happen to be out there in person to check on them.

I've never used an automatic door, but then I never close my pop door at all. I just built my run so that no predator (except for a bear) can get into it. It's built with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. There is a 3 foot apron of hardware cloth surrounding the whole thing. It has a solid roof and I cover 3 sides in clear vinyl for winter to prevent the wind blowing on the birds or getting into the coop. I figure if I can keep the predators out of the run, the birds are pretty safe.
As secure as my run is, i install the auto door for the winter season to help combat the winds! Works great. Opens with the sun and closes after the girls naturally go in, so thats a plus too. I will remove auto door in March I hope!

As secure as my run is, i install the auto door for the winter season to help combat the winds! Works great. Opens with the sun and closes after the girls naturally go in, so thats a plus too. I will remove auto door in March I hope!
My run is covered with clear vinyl on 3 sides. The 4th side is tucked into the corner, about 4 feet away from my L shaped house. There is no breeze in the run that could get into the coop. If my 4th side were open to random breezes then there might be an issue. As it is the 4th open side provides much needed ventilation.

My run is covered with clear vinyl on 3 sides. The 4th side is tucked into the corner, about 4 feet away from my L shaped house. There is no breeze in the run that could get into the coop. If my 4th side were open to random breezes then there might be an issue. As it is the 4th open side provides much needed ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom