New Flock Additions 2015

Awwwwwwwwwww! So cute!

I know accuracy is important - I got my chicks from a local country feed and seed store. So far I believe I have one extra boy which puts them at about 95% accuracy. I've read that no one is 100% accurate all of the time and that even with expert "sexers" the accuracy rate of a good hatchery hovers somewhere in the 90s percentage wise.

I have six chicks shipping from My Pet Chicken on the 26th! So they'll probably arrive around the same time as your chicks! We're getting 2 Australorps and 4 Silver Cuckoo Marans and are very excited!

I ordered six pullets from My Pet Chicken last year as well and was very pleased with the results! All were thankfully correctly sexed so I didn't have to send away any Roos.

The pad was built. I included a picture of the type of sand we got for the run.

It is course, with some rocks, but that should help with the drainage.

Here are the first panels going up for the run.

We had to move the coop in two pieces, but thanks to the modular design, it was a piece of cake. We put half the coop inside the run, and the other half outside. This was mostly because of how deep the coop was, and a couple of other technicalities.

This is all that is left of the old run. We are planning on making this into an outdoor living area, perhaps moving our hot tub over here.

All the panels are up in this shot, and the rabbit cage was successfully transported in. We have to replace the floor of the rabbit cage's run because five years of fat rabbit abuse will do a number to a wire floor.

And voila! The new chicken compound is complete... almost! All we have left to do are a few minor fixes and touch ups, like staining the chicken coop, duck house and rabbit cage, buying chicken wire to separate a section for the incoming chicks, and securing the chain link around the coop.

Tomorrow I am seeding some flats of grass for the chickens, working on the garden, doing the aforementioned tasks, and prepping the brooder for the chick's arrival on Thursday! More pics to come :D

They fluffy butts have arrived!!!!!! They actually arrived at 4pm while I was at work, but my younger sister managed to get them settled. So far, they have been the most people oriented chicks I have ever received. Not one of them is skittish or flighty, and they all push each other out of the way to be held. Mama Heating Pad system is keeping them cozy warm, and all my peepers are quiet and sleeping under the pad. One little chick has a bit of a pasty bottom (ever so little), but I believe this is from temperature fluctuations during travel. Hopefully it will clear up with time. I will keep an eye on it. I could not be happier with My Pet Chicken regarding the personalities of the chicks. The buff chantecler is especially personable. I will post pics tomorrow.

Mcgee (Rhode Island Red Hen)- Sweet, likes to be held, photogenic

Lacey's successor, Eve.

Bieber, the mean speckled sussex pullet.

Justin- the friendly speckled sussex pullet.

Barred Rock Pullet. Nugget.

Paul- The Australorp pullet

Ginger- The buff chantecler pullet.

Justin and Bieber.

The group lounging.

Its been a long time since I updated, but we mulched the run (due to drainage issues (and the extraordinary amount of rain we have gotten this year)). The run was just not drying out, and it was becoming a problem. The girls are all 6 weeks old and we believe we have been blessed with 7 pullets! 100% sexing accuracy from our order at MPC. These are also the nicest girls we have ever raised :) I could not be happier.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom