New Flock Question

newbie--flock

Hatching
Dec 20, 2023
Hi all! I am a newbie to looking after a flock after having researched and wanted to for a long time! I kind of inherited a few birds from someone who could no longer look after them. I have 1 drake duck, 1 female duck, and 2 chicken hens. The ducks have their own duck house, and the chickens have their own coop, attached to a 15x10 fenced in run. They have all been together just about a week.

Every once in a while the drake kind of snaps at the chickens. Never gets ahold or anything. He is not overlyyy aggressive, and leaves them alone most of them time. Is this behavior I should be worried about? Are they still just feeling each other out? The ducks were in the space for about a week before the chickens made it over.

Thanks!

You shouldn't house male ducks and female chickens together. A male duck mating with a female chicken can seriously damage or even kill her. There's no way to just watch out for that - it could happen while you're not there - so best to just not house them together. Separate the ducks from the chickens if you can, and if you can't, rehome one set (just the ducks or just the chickens), and get the other set some more friends. Both species are flock animals and need company, others of their own kind, 2 is too small a number (if something happens to one, you are left with a lonely survivor and they don't do well alone).

Back
Top Bottom