New from Pensacola

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your lovely flock!

Thanks again to everyone! I appreciate the welcome. I do have a question and I'm sure there is a forum about this however I'm concerned with one of my chickens.
All were laying great starting in July. Then it just got too hot. One in particular almost looked sickly, stayed off by herself, eyes shut and barely eating. I thought maybe an egg was stuck. She eventually got better but has never layed another egg. She's not even interested in laying (LOL the rest get in to position when I step close). Not sure what to do. The rest seem to all be laying but just slower. Out of my six chickens I use to get four to five eggs a day, now it is three to four which is fine I've read daylight length will play a factor, but I'm not doing artificial lighting. Its a shame, the one that isn't laying use to lay the deepest blue eggs. She won't even let me touch her or get close. She does get beat up on though, bottom of the order, last to get treats, eat, etc. Any thoughts? I've tried a couple tricks, but "no" is her answer (and I thought I still had a little charm left). Thanks in advance.

You might want to post in the Emergencies forum about your hen www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures She could just not be laying because of the combination of various stresses she had (illness, heat, being bullied etc) and this time of year birds will often go into molt and quit until spring. Would also wonder if she doesn't have some reproductive problem like being an internal layer etc that can go on for quite awhile, since she quit fairly early on and did look sick at one point. If you can catch her, give her a good overall exam, especially her abdomen ... compare her to a couple of your other hens and see if there is a notable difference.

You might want to post in the Emergencies forum about your hen www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures She could just not be laying because of the combination of various stresses she had (illness, heat, being bullied etc) and this time of year birds will often go into molt and quit until spring. Would also wonder if she doesn't have some reproductive problem like being an internal layer etc that can go on for quite awhile, since she quit fairly early on and did look sick at one point. If you can catch her, give her a good overall exam, especially her abdomen ... compare her to a couple of your other hens and see if there is a notable difference.

Thank you for the suggestions. She sure was flying around (pun) the coop this morning. I think she may just be a little shy being picked on. She looks to be the healthiest to be honest. I will keep watch over her.

Back
Top Bottom