New Hampshire Breed Thread

Pics
You have some very nice New Hampshire Reds !! What line are yours ? I've been looking for the older original American NHR . I believe it was "Shady Lane Hatchery" that used to have them but a fire destroyed their business . I'd like to hear & see more about yours . Thanks , Shannon Alabama
Hello Everyone we're still new to BYC but working on getting into all the threads of the breeds we have, one of them being our NH Red breeder flock.........
dang i double posted, sorry everyoe i can't fiqure out how to undo it

I am new to chickens as well and have a NH in my small flock. She's only a few days old, but so far a very sweet girl.

Here is a photo of my bantam New Hamp "Pumpkin" with my 4 bantam silkies when she was still a pullet... I will have to get some more current photos of her :)

Last edited:
We love our G.New Hampshires! We got ours directly from the breeder who brought them over from Germany. We do have chick and eggs for sale if anyone is interested.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to BYC but not new to chickens. My fiance on the other hand IS new to birds and last week he brought home chicks from the local feed store. Australorps and NHs. I have no experience with NHs but I do have experience with RIRs and I was wondering if their temperament is comparable to that of a RIR and what people's general experience with the breed has been. These guys will be part of a mixed flock, some free range and will be around small children. Thanks for your input. :)

Hi Sophiamorgan!
I never had RIR but I do have many GNHamps. I have children around them all the time and completely trust them. Mine are very nice but alittle "stand-offish". Mine are not from a Hatchery though, We got them from the man who got his from Germany to show them. Good luck, I hope they will blend in well, they are a lovely breed. Annie Cooperscoop

Here's my NH chicks now at 6 weeks.
they have been such fun to watch develop thus far...absolutely love their temperament and fast growth/feathering...overall I believe there are going to be some keepers here...there are many unknowns but I will for sure be selecting females with open tails...with improvement toward the SOP in mind there's coloration to consider on the female hackles for black tipping...overall coloration of both sexes (hopefully lighter than most german line birds)...want plenty of type and making sure I watch for the cock's tail angle for correctness. both sexes should be meaty looking which it does not appear to be an issue with this cross thus far...I hope everyone enjoys the pics...i know it's too soon to tell much for sure...
tongue.png

P.S. please excuse the little production leghorn pullet ....she sneaked herself into my lens!!! I suspect she'll earn her keep despite not being bred to the SOP
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom