New Hampshire Breed Thread

Pics
Could someone please advise me on a good breed to pair with my New Hampshire flock? I have 5 hens and 1 rooster, all very docile. I don't have any experience with combining chickens of another breed, so I am looking for some advise. I have one coop with run that is plenty big for up to 10 chickens. I am looking to add to my flock, but would like to try another breed. I was thinking maybe a few Australorp hens, but don't really know how my NH's will except another breed. Thanks.

Australorps are a heavy breed and good layers...Barred Rocks are as well. I have NH's and BR's...they do well together since they are rather calm birds.

Australorps are a heavy breed and good layers...Barred Rocks are as well. I have NH's and BR's...they do well together since they are rather calm birds.
Good info... Thanks. I was thinking of BR's too. I would like to be getting more eggs per day than I am currently getting. I'm getting roughly 2-3 per day from from 5 NH hens. Thanks again.

We love our G.New Hampshires! We got ours directly from the breeder who brought them over from Germany. We do have chick and eggs for sale if anyone is interested.
We just got our first 6 NH today. If we like the breed I'll definitely remember you to add some new blood to the flock. Gorgeous birds! And we are homeschoolers too!

Finaly a nhr thread thanks for the start , I myself will be setting nhr eggs around the 30th of this month , the nhr is a vigorous breed with rapid growth arriving at market weight in as less than 18 weeks they are also strong layer around 180 to 200 large brown eggs per year they are great foragers hardy birds with awesome red plumage,, I say what's not to like about this hardy homestead breed ? My grand parents raised them with great succeess and they were my grandmas favorite breed , I purchased my hatching eggs for pick up at myers hatchery in Polk Ohio (Amish country) they have been breeding the same established line of nhr since the early sixties ,,, solid genetics for those interested , my goal is to maintain breeding stock in this myer line then introduce a German line for my own improvement in the birds kept here in costa rica ,,, good luck and ,, gotta luv big red

A message to any nhr breeders who come acrossed this thread I am looking for quality German line nhr hatching eggs for the week of the 4 th of July prefer pick up but will consider shipment if the line is of top quality will drive up to six hours from northern Ohio for pick up pm me if you have that special line of big red tnx

A message to any nhr breeders who come acrossed this thread I am looking for quality German line nhr hatching eggs for the week of the 4 th of July prefer pick up but will consider shipment if the line is of top quality will drive up to six hours from northern Ohio for pick up pm me if you have that special line of big red

"desertmarcy" here on BYC has some nice pure German NH's...eggs and chicks right now I believe. she ships too. lots of pics on her profile page!

Back
Top Bottom