New Hampshire Breed Thread

Pics
[/IMG]

Hi, this is my first time posting on the forum so hopefully the images work. I have 4 new Hampshire's that are now a week old. They are doing very well. I'd normally never ask this question about week old chickens but is the feathering on cockralls distinct at this age? Growing up we had astrolorps and I would sex them at a day old then not even bother checking until they were much older. But I have one baby (pictured above) that have very different feather growth to the others. Distinct tail and generally just a lot more feathers. Any hints as to why this would be? Sorry if it's a silly question.
Michelle

Last edited:
My NH's are not sexable at all at that age. I sometimes see a "pullet" turn into a cockerel at 4 months old. Looking at comb growth is the best indicator. It's really too early to tell anything about their sex.

Our NH too has a new home with a red and black sex link hens.
If I gather eggs to hatch will the chick be autosexing???

No, not at all. You would need Barred Rock hens and an NH roos to get black sex links. A white rock or delaware might give you red sex links. There is no way to get sex links from a hen that is a sex link.

I thought for the longest time that my chickens were New Hampshire's and found out that they are actually read sex link chickens.I have another question someone on another thread said that if you have a EE Cockrell and a brown egg layer that you would end up with olive eggers if they mated ,does anybody know if there's any truth to that?

I have another question someone on another thread said that if you have a EE Cockrell and a brown egg layer that you would end up with olive eggers if they mated ,does anybody know if there's any truth to that?
You will get a green egg layer, if the EE is homozygous for blue eggs. To get Olive Eggs, you need one parent to be a dark egg laying breed like a Marans or Welsummer.

My EE is an Americana mix and I have a black Moran and a blue Moran so if he ever gets up nerve he's just young and he's afraid of the big chickens yet.excuse the spelling I'm using auto text and I got a new iPad and I'm loving it I get tired of typing,with any luck I'll get some colorful eggs, I pretty much do have colorful eggs.I already have one OE and one EE. Hopefully I'll get myself and even better variety. I have five chicks that are going to be 13 weeks old tomorrow and they are a mix of Ameriaucanas,white leghorn and barred rock and then I have four other words I'm not even sure what they are I have a real variety of chicks

Can anybody tell me if this chick looks like a New Hampshire? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ordered one New Hampshire cockerel chick from Meyer along with others and one one meal maker. One of the two single chicks was DOA. now I'm not sure if the surviving chick is the unknown meal maker or the red rooster I wanted to use to hatch sex linked chicks.

I would greatly appreciate adive from someone who is accustom to this breed. Thank you!

Can anybody tell me if this chick looks like a New Hampshire? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ordered one New Hampshire cockerel chick from Meyer along with others and one one meal maker. One of the two single chicks was DOA. now I'm not sure if the surviving chick is the unknown meal maker or the red rooster I wanted to use to hatch sex linked chicks.

I would greatly appreciate adive from someone who is accustom to this breed. Thank you!

What chick?

You should go look at the youtube videos from the the hatcheries to see what the chicks look like. NH's are fairly distinctively colored, so it should be easy to figure out.

Where are you located? Maybe someone in your area has an extra NH cockerel.

This chick is almost yellow with a bit of reddish color on its back. Belly is yellow. Wing tips have a bit of white and black the the beck having no color

Back
Top Bottom