New Hampshire Breed Thread

Pics
thanks all, i appreciate the help!

i am all the way on the other side of the state from privett hatchery, but yes as far as i've been able to research they are the closest hatchery to me. unfortunately i can't get their catalog to open online and i don't do paper catalogs if i can help it. keep meaning to contact them and tell them their website would be more useful if people could order from it but haven't had time. besides that kind of advice often doesn't go over well in this part of the country - people would rather be stubborn than sensible.

our local feed store does order their birds from privett, or at least the guy at the desk "thinks" that's where they come from. so maybe next time i need to order chicks i can get them through him instead of having to get them shipped to me. nhr seems to be pretty friendly and not rotten to the other chickens like rir is, so i'm pretty excited about them. i don't know anything about sex links, but i don't think that's what i have because they didn't look like the baby pics on the breed page when i first got them. what breed does the red come from in the rsl?

Quote:
I believe it is generally the Rhode Island Red, or a line of Rhode Island Reds that the hatchery maintains that may not actually conform to Rhode Island Red standards. Of course, New Hampshires were developed exclusively from Rhode Island Reds. The lines the hatcheries use could be more different or more similar than New Hampshires and Rhode Island Reds.

Red Sexlink is not a breed, but rather a cross that can be achieved by a variety of pairings. Many hatcheries put their own name on the hybrid, things like Cinnamon Queen and Golden Comet.

We have two NH from mypetchicken. I think they are about 12 weeks old. Last night I was holding one in my arm and felt something hard. Could she be producing eggs already? We have some older wyandottes that are laying and every other morning we find a smaller pinkish egg. I assumed that all of our eggs were coming from the " 'dotte girls" but now I am wondering if one of the NHs might be laying already.

A friend said that her NHs start laying around 16 weeks but since these girls came to us as day-olds I know they aren't nearly that old.

Quote:
It might have been her crop (it holds the food). If you feel it early in the morning before they eat it should be empty.
If there producing there combs will be red and enlarging.

Hi Y'all,

I raise, breed and show WBS Ameraucanas, Barnevelders, Buckeyes, and Welsummers. This year I have decided to replace all the hatchery/feedstore birds I keep for eggs while my others are in the breeding pens with SQ stock. Here are the breeds that I’m looking for now and plan to get:

1) Barred Rocks (BR)
2) Black Jersey Giants (BJG)
3) Buff Brahmas (BB)
4) Black, Blue, and/or Buff Orpingtons (BO)
5) Golden-Laced Wyandottes (GLW)
6) Silver-Laced Wyandottes (SLW)
7) Blue-Laced Red Wyandottes (BLRW)
8) New Hampshire Reds (NHR)
9) Rhode Island Reds (RIR)

I think that’s it but with chickens I just never know. If I see something that catches my eye, I may just have to get some. For example, I recently heard that someone in the USA has some BLR Barnevelders. If I see them, I’ll probably have to get some!

Anyways, I would appreciate hearing from any of you NHR breeders who would sell me some hatching eggs from good SQ stock. Please send me an email as I likely won't see a reply here.

God Bless,

Quote:
The American Poultry Association and the American Bantam Association does not recognize the breed New Hampshire Red it is New Hampshire in both the large fowl and bantam.

A group of New Hampshire breeders is trying to get the New Hampshire Breeders Club of America back up and operating again.

Will post more on how the club is doing as it progresses.

If you look for New Hampshire Reds you will be going to a hatchery as that is a hatchery term.

Quote:
I have been raising the New Hampshire bantams since the 1980s here in south central Ohio.

They are exhibition quality as demonstrated by a long show record of over 30 years.

You can see pictures of my males and females on Feathersite under New Hampshires.

I do not sell eggs or chicks just adult stock but I do ship or deliver to the shows that I attend or judge.

My email address is [email protected]

Quote:
Probably a hatchery bred Americauna and she will probably lay a colored egg but the color could be anything on her feathers.

Not SQ as they are supposed to have slate legs.

One of my 14 week old pullets and a group shot where you can see the cockeral and three pullets I have. I think this breed is beautiful!

27698_100_5215.jpg

27698_100_5232.jpg

Quote:
I have been raising the New Hampshire bantams since the 1980s here in south central Ohio.

They are exhibition quality as demonstrated by a long show record of over 30 years.

You can see pictures of my males and females on Feathersite under New Hampshires.

I do not sell eggs or chicks just adult stock but I do ship or deliver to the shows that I attend or judge.

My email address is [email protected]

Edgar, is your line of New Hampshire bantams decent layers? They are one of my favorite breeds but the ones I had were very poor layers. So, I eventually culled them all. IMHO, there is nothing prettier than a flock of New Hampshires out on a green pasture in spring.

Back
Top Bottom