New Hampshire Breed Thread

Pics
Quote:
I have been raising the New Hampshire bantams since the 1980s here in south central Ohio.

They are exhibition quality as demonstrated by a long show record of over 30 years.

You can see pictures of my males and females on Feathersite under New Hampshires.

I do not sell eggs or chicks just adult stock but I do ship or deliver to the shows that I attend or judge.

My email address is [email protected]

Edgar, is your line of New Hampshire bantams decent layers? They are one of my favorite breeds but the ones I had were very poor layers. So, I eventually culled them all. IMHO, there is nothing prettier than a flock of New Hampshires out on a green pasture in spring.

Yes they are decent layers for dual purpose bantams.

They lay a 3 oz egg.

Put the strain together in the early 1980s and they are easy keepers.

I have a group of 6 New Hampshires.....looks like 2 boys and 4 girls. They came from KathyinMO on here, and I believe her stock is from Doug Akers. Can't wait to get these kids grown up and pick a few to show. Don't see many around here.....

2011-07-03_10-09-21_167.jpg

2011-07-03_10-08-48_790.jpg

Quote:
3 oz eggs?
ep.gif
WOW! From bantams?

One of the largest eggs I ever got was a double yolker that weighed
3.68 ounces (104 grams or .23 pounds) ... It was not from a bantam.

4-30-10019.jpg

4-30-10004.jpg

According to the USDA, your birds lay Jumbo eggs.
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3004376

Size or weight class Minimum net weight per dozen (ounces)
Jumbo ............................. 30
Extra large ...................... 27
Large .............................. 24
Medium .......................... 21
Small .............................. 18
Peewee ........................... 15

edgarmongold wrote:
Yes they are decent layers for dual purpose bantams.

They lay a 3 oz egg.

This is amazing to me. Since they lay such large eggs for their size, I would be interested in the rate of lay. Infact, I would be interested in more information in general, such as cold weather/hot weather affects on laying, broodiness, and temperament.​

Quote:
This is amazing to me. Since they lay such large eggs for their size, I would be interested in the rate of lay. Infact, I would be interested in more information in general, such as cold weather/hot weather affects on laying, broodiness, and temperament.

Let me correct that statement.

They lay a 1.3 ounce egg.

Lot of difference there, sorry about the misquote.

Have not checked but they probably lay around 160 eggs a year.

Lay all year long, winter and summer does not seem to matter.

They do go broody.

They have an easy going temperment but the males do need to be separated at sexual maturity.

Quote:
This is amazing to me. Since they lay such large eggs for their size, I would be interested in the rate of lay. Infact, I would be interested in more information in general, such as cold weather/hot weather affects on laying, broodiness, and temperament.

Let me correct that statement.

They lay a 1.3 ounce egg.

Lot of difference there, sorry about the misquote.

Have not checked but they probably lay around 160 eggs a year.

Lay all year long, winter and summer does not seem to matter.

They do go broody.

They have an easy going temperment but the males do need to be separated at sexual maturity.

The New Hampshire Breeders Club of America is reorganizing and our new Secretary/Treasurer is:

New Hampshire Breeders Club of America
Brett Kreifels
P.O. Box 113 425 Chestnut St.
Springfield, NE 68059
(402) 679-1174
[email protected]

We also are having chats on the first Thursday of the month at 8pm EST on NHBCA Yahoo Group Chat.

Hi just found this thread, could someone tell me all the DQs for New Hampshire breeds? Like what exactly does there have to be, for leg color and things like that? Thank YOU!
smile.png

Quote:
Your best bet to find all the DQs on a breed would be to go to the library and check out the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection.

It will list all of the DQs.

Leg color is yellow.

Back
Top Bottom