New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

Pics
If he's had the use of his muscles these last two years he is going to be more firm than the store bought poor souls so many are used to.
1f62c.png
. There are some coq au vin recipes and many will allow the meat to "rest" in the fridge for 3-4 days in buttermilk while the lactic acid tenderizes the meat. DH is not a fan of the coq au vin but I thought it was okay. I think he likes a more crispy chicken. Some googling may give you some tips on how to get the best result from him.

Bogtown,

that is what I was wondering. Was he just protective or is he mean? I had 3 roosters and butchered one and then this one became mean. They were both bright red headed too if that means anything. The black headed guy is mellow and never attacks people.
So if I butcher this guy can I still eat him at 2 years old or will he be too tough?

"Man fighters", have a few screws loose upstairs. There is no good reason to put up with it or perpetuate the trait. The trait is highly heritable. There is no enjoyment in keeping a bird like that.

There is no outward physical trait that correlates with this trait.

A two year old cock bird makes for better dog food. They are not fit to eat. Once they are sexually mature, the testosterone has already made them pretty darned tough. Regardless of how much exercise they have had.

We eat a lot of game and Dh will bring home wild Turkeys. Those things will have you chewing for days! We like to grill kabobs with those marinated in Italian dressing. So that's another idea or dehydrate into jerkey... Maybe...

This is Roger. he is the master of the yard. He's a good friend to all his girls. Super dooper predator eyes that knows an eagle or a hawk coming 30-60 seconds before they're over head. He amazes us everyday. We couldn't free Range with out him. He'll be one year April 13th.
Always wanted a rooster of that breeds.He's real pretty!My hens would be ALL over him!X2

Back
Top Bottom