Sudden lameness in already injured chicken !

she is also moving very jittery and dropping feathers, as well as having pin feathers on her head.
theres a video of her moving and a picture of the aforementioned poo. she walks, crows, eats, everythings seems normal, but i now know that means nothing.

Attachments

• 20230908_074946.jpg
    20230908_074946.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 4
the lame one has now died. i did let the remaining one into the yard for some air and i noticed her poop was incredibly wet, if that might point to anything treatment wise. shes also a little skittish, and possibly underweight. thanks for your help.

she is also moving very jittery and dropping feathers, as well as having pin feathers on her head.
I'm sorry that you lost one of them.

It's good that you were able to let the remaining one outside for a while.
She looks o.k., just a bit timid since she's not been able to get out a lot.

How old is she? Losing feathers and getting pin feathers on the head is likely due to molting.
I'd focus on her eating a nutritionally balanced Poultry Feed and fresh water daily. If you have the vitamin pak, you can provide a little of that once weekly.
Having outside time is important too, so hopefully the weather will cool some and she can spend more time outdoors getting some fresh air, sunshine, take a dust bath and do other things that chickens like to do.

When you get time, get some more photos of her poop.

I'm sorry that you lost one of them.

It's good that you were able to let the remaining one outside for a while.
She looks o.k., just a bit timid since she's not been able to get out a lot.

How old is she? Losing feathers and getting pin feathers on the head is likely due to molting.
I'd focus on her eating a nutritionally balanced Poultry Feed and fresh water daily. If you have the vitamin pak, you can provide a little of that once weekly.
Having outside time is important too, so hopefully the weather will cool some and she can spend more time outdoors getting some fresh air, sunshine, take a dust bath and do other things that chickens like to do.

When you get time, get some more photos of her poop.
she should be about 5 months, she was born april 11th. i talked to my dad and he said it has everything she needs in her diet, and it's what we were feeding our chickens beforehand with no issues. I replace her water every now and then when she tips it over and the like. it's definitely cooling off enough for her to have morning time, if i get up early enough she usually gets 4-5 hours before its too warm (uncomfortable for me is uncomfortable for she in my eyes). I'll try to get more photos in the morning when i let her out. thanks for your condolences and your help

she should be about 5 months, she was born april 11th. i talked to my dad and he said it has everything she needs in her diet, and it's what we were feeding our chickens beforehand with no issues. I replace her water every now and then when she tips it over and the like. it's definitely cooling off enough for her to have morning time, if i get up early enough she usually gets 4-5 hours before its too warm (uncomfortable for me is uncomfortable for she in my eyes). I'll try to get more photos in the morning when i let her out. thanks for your condolences and your help
Sounds like a good plan!

She's a lovely pullet, so I hope all goes well. Keep me posted.

Sounds like a good plan!

She's a lovely pullet, so I hope all goes well. Keep me posted.
alright, i got her out here and she seems fine. I'm thinking maybe she was dehydrated and thats what led to it, cuz i havent seen any other poop like that. she is sneezing every now and then, but she doesn't seem to have any other problems (no raspy breathing, lethargy). she keeps wagging her tail so i think shes happy. oh, do you think i should keep adding electrolytes or let her have normal water for now ?

Attachments

• 20230909_081751.jpg
    20230909_081751.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230909_081614.jpg
    20230909_081614.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230909_081602.jpg
    20230909_081602.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 1
I'd let her have plain fresh water for a while since you've been giving electrolytes.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for her? Grit is needed to process food in the gizzard.

Provide her with oyster shell too, this is supplemental calcium so she can lay eggs with a strong shell.

I'm glad she was able to get outside and is doing good.

I'd let her have plain fresh water for a while since you've been giving electrolytes.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for her? Grit is needed to process food in the gizzard.

Provide her with oyster shell too, this is supplemental calcium so she can lay eggs with a strong shell.

I'm glad she was able to get outside and is doing good.
she doesn't grit right now i dont think, but ill definitely get her some, same with the shells, we had some but i think they got eaten already haha. it's cooled down now so shes getting several hours outside now and looks great ! :wee

Back
Top Bottom