New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Got my first egg today. 16 weeks on the dot, it was outside the coop and didn't have a shell. I picked it up and it cracked so the dogs got it. I tried taking some video today but my camcord battery is dead and my phone is only producing corrupt images and videos and I couldn't do a quick format so its scrubbing through 60 gigabytes right now.
Congratulations!!! First eggs are always exciting!!! =)

Here is my 16 week video

0.jpg

Its exciting because my buddy didn't think they'd start laying this early, and I said about 16 weeks.

We've had duck eggs for a few weeks now so its only our first chicken egg, and I didn't get to eat it.

@gifters , I don't click videos anymore (one messed up my phone pretty badly a couple of months ago).
Congratulations on your first chicken egg!!! Let the first egg dance commence:
celebrate.gif

I've got a few questions for those w/ NH brooding experience:
About how many eggs do your hens cover?
Are you able to "get" your hens to go broody by giving them a clutch?
If so, then about how long does that usually take?

I'm just asking for answers based on your own experience; I know everybody's chickens and chicken keeping situations are a bit different (even w/in the same breed), and that the climate where the chickens are kept makes a difference too.
Thanks. =)

Ok,

Its been awhile since I have been on,but I have a New Hampshire red cockeral.His name is Zues,and he is very,very sweet.

I plan on building a coop just for him and a few girls to tend to.I know they mature fastly,but when could he tend to girls on his very own?Without any help?

Right now he lives with one adult rooster and his brother Savage,a leghorn.

They have both came fairly aggressive towards the pullets and the grey hen that we introduced "back" into the flock.I think she is being exiled from the flock,because even the lower pecking order hens will "Attack" her,and my cockerals will chase her and try to kill her,(At least that's what looks like.)

Is it normally for Newhampshire roosters?

Here is my real first egg... Turns out a duck dropped an egg a couple hours after laying and I initially thought that was the first egg.
fa3ec835e95c514fdb471ee184c76e49.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Recently got two New Hampshire reds from a hatchery. They are beautiful. About 26 weeks old. One of the pullets has white earlobes, and the other does not. Both have the black tail feathers. My question is, from the white earlobes, is there a way of getting a good guess as to how she is bred?

I want to know if he is compatible with my three Polish hens, and if they could go free range together without geting killed by predators or without Big Red hurting/attacking someone.

I think I missed the party. I have one new Hampshire and she is my baby. Super nice and loves cucumbers and peas shell

Back
Top Bottom