New Hampshire!

Pics
Oh my gosh, got back from a Dr appt. and the chicks box was soaked! So I went to Lowes and bought some OSB board, had them cut it and have them in a 4 by 4 foot brooder now. They really love the extra room. I thought I had another week and then they could go right into the coop, but nope. One week old and they already needed more space...the cardboard box bottom was sagging so bad I just dragged it all outside and now have "sewn" a hardware cloth for the top of their new brooder. They had kicked the shavings into their water so much so, that the water all came out and the shavings were soaked!!! I think it had just happened thankfully! None of the chicks were distressed or cold! I will be glad to have Mommy chicken take care of the babies next year
bow.gif

I don't remember it being this fast
hu.gif
that they needed more room but guess these guys did. I laughed so hard watching them run and fly from one side to the other LOL! I figure, if I need to, I can break this brooder down, and use it for my broody hens..that is if I get any. Oh, I put hardware cloth on the top cause I have a kittie that would eat them!!! She's a Bengal and they are great hunters and I have NO mice in the house any more, nor bugs for that matter. So have to keep the one week old chicks safe from her!

Glad I got back when I did..phew!!!!!

Oh my gosh, got back from a Dr appt. and the chicks box was soaked! So I went to Lowes and bought some OSB board, had them cut it and have them in a 4 by 4 foot brooder now. They really love the extra room. I thought I had another week and then they could go right into the coop, but nope. One week old and they already needed more space...the cardboard box bottom was sagging so bad I just dragged it all outside and now have "sewn" a hardware cloth for the top of their new brooder. They had kicked the shavings into their water so much so, that the water all came out and the shavings were soaked!!! I think it had just happened thankfully! None of the chicks were distressed or cold! I will be glad to have Mommy chicken take care of the babies next year
bow.gif

I don't remember it being this fast
hu.gif
that they needed more room but guess these guys did. I laughed so hard watching them run and fly from one side to the other LOL! I figure, if I need to, I can break this brooder down, and use it for my broody hens..that is if I get any. Oh, I put hardware cloth on the top cause I have a kittie that would eat them!!! She's a Bengal and they are great hunters and I have NO mice in the house any more, nor bugs for that matter. So have to keep the one week old chicks safe from her!

Glad I got back when I did..phew!!!!!

oh fun! I am interested in the frizzle cochins mostly but I might fall in love with some others as well. I can't say no to a cute chick lol

I have a Frizzle Silkie (Sizzle) if a loving home is looking to adda rare breed to your flock. Their recessive gene makes their feathers grow in backwards. Hatched 3/13.

I have 3 sizzles (4 mo. old, 2male/1female) that need a loving home. They are super friendly and hand raised. I'm in Salem NH. Willing to drive them to their new home. These birds usually sell for a premium, but I will give away for free to a no-kill home.

Hi again, I asked this question on the raising baby chick forum and got different answers so am a bit confused. Was hoping that I might bother you with my question as you raise chickens here goes;

It is extremely hot here and I am having a difficult time adjusting the heating for the chicks. Last night it stayed 83 degrees in my little cabin and they are in my living room and the chicks are now a week and 5 days old with wing feathers and tail feathers. They are happy without the lights on, but everyone says to leave a light on for 5 weeks...

Do you think they would be ok without a light at night if the temps are 80 or above? They are BR's and never did like the 90 degrees, so stepping them down to 80 was no problem with the proposed "step down" system I read on here. Today it's supposed to be 90 degrees so I know my little cabin will be that and them some all night tonight. I don't want them to get over stimulated, or dependent on the light either as they will go out to the coop as soon as it is finished. Lord willing, this weekend.

You live here in NH, so know our weather...what do you think? Yesturday I had the light off and everyone was fine and happy and at night they settled in and was happily asleep by 9-10 pm...I know mamma chicken doesn't get up at night to feed and water them, and if they aren't afraid of the dark...is it ok to leave the light off with these horrible hot summer days and nights as long as the temps aren't below 80 degrees?

Thanks so much!!!

Oh and I WILL have a light for them in the coop as it should be a bit cooler in there...sorry forgot to add that!

Thanks again!
Opps one more thing, I did, on someones recommendation, turn the light back on last night and they all woke up and started playing...no one was really eating and drinking, just flying around, flying up on their roost I made them for recreation and all but three moved away from the light last night when I turned it on...

At 5 weeks old in this weather they'll be fine without a light at all. If for some weird reason we get some really freakishly low temps you can put a light in. If it gets a bit chilly (60+) at night they'll cuddle together for warmth but won't need a light. Good luck!

Last edited:
I agree, no light. It's better for them to have darkness at night to get them in a natural sleeping cycle as well. It's plenty hot enough here for no added heat lol

Chicks are self-regulating about most things. Let them tell you when they need heat. If they are eating, drinking, running around just fine, then they are warm enough. If they are all huddled in a tight little ball in a corner, or peeping loudly while huddled together, they may be cold. If they seem to be doing just fine without the light, leave it off! I was watching some four day old chicks last week for my neighbors who were on vacation, and I only use a little ecoglow brooder in the summertime, so not as much heat as a lamp. Even so, the chicks slept away from the brooder by choice!

Back
Top Bottom