New hatch- Medical Kit?????????

bigstack

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Texarkana, TX
Ok, I have 40+ eggs hatcing in the next 3 weeks. What are the medical necessities Needed? What meds and supplies other than feed, heat, water and grit? I have the brooder supplies. I just want to get all the medical stuff I might need. I have blue kote and am getting the anti pick. What vitamins, sutures if needed, actual medications, and any other stuff I might need? I would appreciae any brand names, what used for, and dosage would be appreciated. I have access to small 1cc. 29ga. syringes if needed.
Thanks in advance!

God Bless!

Quote:
Sedatives, sleeping pills, ophthalmic drops, caffiene tablets, duct tape, alum, nylon rope (or grass, cotton, plastic), tranquilzers, etc.,...

Quote:
Sedatives, sleeping pills, ophthalmic drops, caffiene tablets, duct tape, alum, nylon rope (or grass, cotton, plastic), tranquilzers, etc.,...

yuckyuck.gif

But seriously, I have never used any medications for newly hatched chicks. I have brooder set up (feed, water, papertowel over shavings, temp gauge of some kind and no grit) and heat lamp ready.....turn on about an hour before I have chicks ready to go in. And if one hatches and has trouble, I let nature take it's course. One of my first hatches I helped a chick and it was never right and ended up dying anyhow.

Now get some sleep as I am sure you will be up checking on them when the time comes.
big_smile.png

Thanx, I guess I should have clarified myself. I just want to get as much supplies now as I can. For future needs. I just want to be as ready as I can be. I am already totting the wireless temp hygrometer around the houe and beside the bed. My DW thinks I'm nuts. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

Thanks and God Bless!

Calm down, you'll be fine. Hopefully, better than I did last hatch. I could have used tranquilizers!

Valium, my new hatching buddy.

Yes, the first hatch is really exciting I know. I guess I am not as stressed out as much after foal watching, calving, and of course the guinea pigs having babies. Hatching was just another fun thing when we first started. I hatched enough game birds to repopulate (and yes I have a license to do so) last year that I got kind of worn out about it.

Blue Kote is handy, but I only used it on one chicken who got stepped on by a horse. And she survived just fine. I do keep wormer (DE mainly) on hand and I also like to have baby human vitamins. The Poly ones without Iron. Otherwise chickens for us have been relatively healthy and enjoyable. I keep needles/syringes and antibiotics on hand for the other livestock and guinea pigs. Guinea pigs use a chicken one....sulmet, so I guess I am covered if I ever need it.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom