New Hen, Different Behaviors - Advice Appreciated

crazychickenmom9

Hatching
May 24, 2022
So, of course, I'll need to post some backstory.

We have 4 hens over a year old. We also had 2 pullets that were 15 weeks old. Blueberry and Butta. Butta was a tiny little silkie pullet. Cutest squeaky toy ever. But, a opossum got her! Blueberry was devastated. As were we. So, we took another silkie from a friend that was purchased at the same time, and Blueberry was instantly in best friendship again... with Blackberry the new silkie. Blueberry and Blackberry never separated and didn't mingle with the older 4... at all really, except at night in the coop. Fast forward a few weeks, 21 weeks old, and Blackberry starts crowing. Officially a he. Ugh. We can't have a rooster, because we live in the city limits. So, we had to give him back to our friend. This left blueberry without a best friend... again. So, we purchased a new pullet. Approximately the same age as Blueberry. We were hoping Blueberry would have an instant friend again.

I'm pretty sure our new pullet was caged her whole life. She's a porcelain cochin bantam. She's beautiful. Poop looks good. (I've only ever said that about babies and chickens 🤣) Feathers, skin, feet, all look healthy. But, she won't come out of the run. The rest of the chickens free range our backyard. She's not really timid, she's just not active. She stays in a small space even though she has freedom, and she doesn't seem curious about the other chickens. She slept on the floor of the coop. After dark, I put her on the perch beside Blueberry, but when I let them out this morning she was cuddled up on the floor.

I guess what I'm asking is... is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable? Will she loosen up? Is this because she was caged for so long?
Also, poor Blueberry. I just want her to have a friend again! I attached their pictures so you can put names with faces.

Attachments

• IMG_5334.png
    IMG_5334.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5297.png
    IMG_5297.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
Poor thing!
My sister's Cochin didn't like the roost either.
Same situation, she was always caged.
My sister went out every night and put her on the roost for a week until Miss Cochin (yes that was her name, haha) changed her habits.
Do you have a name for your new hen? She looks like vanilla ice cream.
I'm sorry for Blueberry loosing her best friends, she will find chicken companionship again soon I'm sure ❤️
They are both gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom