AhManDuh loves chicks

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2024
Well my names Amanda I'm from western ny area if you know where buffalo and Niagara falls is im smack dab in the middle of the two in a place called North Tonawanda.... This is my 2nd time with Chickie's since my first last yr unfortunately in Feb on the 19th five days after my bday I walked out and found piles of feathers 😭 that same day later on my neighbors called to tell me to protect my chickens bc a fox was around unfortunately it was to late I never cried so hard guys it broke me well the day before their unfortunate demise which I hope was painless a lady Sam and her family hatched some of the first babies they had then posted to get rid of 4 babies who were brand new and my ex found it sent it and guess what they were mine and I'm so grateful for them and her family too it's been a rocky road worrying about the fact that there are fox and babies outside now I'm so scared that here we are past the point of when my birds should be outside and they are still in the house with me ugh im super nervous but anyways i have 2 kids 5 yr old boy Julian and almost 19 yr old girl Chloe i have 3 bearded dragons and 2 grown cats 4 kitten's and an English Bulldog Burtha Mae .... Full house here btw the lady I got these chicks from her daughter will be 18 the same day myne turns 19 how crazy is that right.... Anyways I'm 37 yrs young 😆 who am I kidding I'm old and I feel all the aches and pains 😂 I have questions how to deter fox since we may have about 15 in our area rn and this is a city btw not no countryside idk y theyre still here we have no more bunnies or anything it's quite sad 😢 but also the mama or daddy fox I think mama has a lot of balls comes running up toward ppl and animals and children and it don't matter how much noise or things u throw they don't care it's like they're immune HELP ME I have a big metal cage that was $500.00 8ft x 8ft x 6.5ft it's welded metal not cheap and has a top I have a 5hun dollar coop that's going into this but I don't know how to go about putting hardware cloth or spikes around it to prevent them from digging and getting in so any ideas or suggestions would be great 👍🏻 thank you so much for having me and I appreciate all of u btw I been reading stuff on here for the last yr and you are all wonderful chicken mama and daddies and papa and gmas and siblings which ever u prefer to be is all good in the hood lol but yes please 🥺 🙏🏻 help me and my feathered friends I named this one nugget (roo) foo foo short for foo fighters(possible roo or hen) btw my son named foo foo and baby butt (hen) and then i named sapphire (hen) I know pullet a Cockerel but same difference just younger and older pretty much they are teenagers lol 😂 anyways I'm guna share this before I keep going and type ur eyes dry lol I'm ADHD so it should explain the all over the place of my intro and help needed here much love to all of you xoxo

Hiya, Amanda, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

The way we got started with chickens was 8 years ago a fox took out a ladies flock albeit 3 silkie chickens she gave us. After 8 years, she finally got a nice run for them, fox-proofed, and came to ask ME for two chickens.

She did what @DobieLover suggested above.

Here, we have dogs, wind spinners and solar motion lights so that scares the varments away.

Welcome to BYC. So sorry for your loss.
I lost a hen to a fox when I just started and was heartbroken. It is how I joined BYC because there are people here who understood why I was so upset.
I have a lot of foxes. I mean a lot. I see at least one every day. Sometimes more.
I have electric poultry netting and a cool and run protected by both cattle panel and hardware cloth and a no dig apron that goes out about 2’.
I am not sure i understand what your metal cage is exactly so pictures would help.
I also recommend browsing the coop build forum - I learned a lot from there and people are very willing to jump in and help with construction.
Good luck and enjoy the BYC community.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry for your losses. :hugs If all else fails, a giant run will protect your birds if free ranging is too dangerous. The best way to foil the diggers is to bury railroad ties level to the surface of the ground and mount your coop and run to them. Best wishes with your flock!

Hello & welcome! So sorry for your loss. ❤️

I'm in Delaware, but I've got resident foxes that were well established before I even moved here. I love nature & do not hate the predators, as they're just doing what they need to do to survive. I love my birds dearly, too, so I realized I had to figure a way to keep them safe. I'm fortunate to have found this site & learned I needed to build predator proof pens. We built them for the 1st chickens & haven't lost a chicken to a predator to this day. I still have foxes in my yard daily & luckily we have sort of a synergy going on, as they're excellent mousers & rat catchers. They have not even tried to dig any holes to get to my flock. I've got Homing Pigeons, Guineas & Chickens. We build predator proof coops & pens, dug down 2 feet so even if they do try to dig, they won't get far. Whenever I free range the flock, I am right there doing yardwork.

1 time, I did have to chase off 1 youngster male fox, as he tried to grab my fattest, heaviest Hen, he could not budge her & I chased him about half an acre, with him wide eyed looking back as he ran & stumbled (shocked I could move so fast I guess) as I was swinging a 5 gallon bucket nearly missing his head. He has given me & my flock a wide berth ever since.

My next step is to create a large secure area for the flock to do some ranging, like the large Pheasant pens I've seen. Foxes can dig under, so I will still need to be out there. Anyway...you have to construct something predator proof for your flock. What are the predators in your area? Hawks, Falcons, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, etc. Not sure if you have bears or big cats there...those are heavy duty predators. Another thing to consider...the small nasty critters like mice, you surely want to keep them out, so the half inch welded wire was essential for the pens, strong & small enough to keep rodents out. It is a labor of love, but it is worth it in the long run.

1601489114486_image.png 20210710_200737.jpg 20210710_200725.jpg
20210622_192709.jpg
20210710_184956.jpg 20201130_125314.jpg 20201130_125116.jpg

20200829_194602.jpg
20220225_175439.jpg 20230823_174638.jpg 20231231_163053.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Amanda, and welcome to BYC. So sorry for your losses! That is always hard.

Good for you for starting back up again! Best wishes with the new chicks.

Here are some articles that might help

1. Common mistakes & how to fix them

2. Ventilation (important to chicken health), with helpful links to coop designs organized by climate (because what is just right for my New England hens won't work for my brother's Arizona chickens)

3. Farmers Almanac on Building Coops (Includes size requirements!) Allowing plenty of space for chickens is really important because, even as chicks, they will start pecking each other or plucking their own feathers, or become unhealthy if they are overcrowded. Here is a link to Colorado State Extension's publication on space and temperature requirements for chicks as they age.

4. Predator protection for new & existing coops

Back
Top Bottom