New here, Please help me with breed and gender identification!

Lkg123

Hatching
Jun 19, 2023
Hi!
I just picked up some young chickens yesterday from a man who wasn’t sure what breeds they all were. He called these Easter eggers and Ameracaunas but not sure if that’s even true or which is which! He said they were about 10 weeks old. Also, any insight on gender would be great too but understand if it’s too early to tell. Any idea what breeds they are? Thanks!

Attachments

• 92EB7F57-D778-4CB1-AF34-A10DB5CA03B6.jpeg
    92EB7F57-D778-4CB1-AF34-A10DB5CA03B6.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 49F0FD89-F368-4FD1-B037-777607989508.jpeg
    49F0FD89-F368-4FD1-B037-777607989508.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 00012EE3-B5E2-4565-9C9D-BE99A9A37416.jpeg
    00012EE3-B5E2-4565-9C9D-BE99A9A37416.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 22
  • E087F3D0-4B08-4A31-B6E6-4597D945E280.jpeg
    E087F3D0-4B08-4A31-B6E6-4597D945E280.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to BYC! 1 and 4 appear to be cockerels. They have lesser grown combs and more tail feathers, but there are always exceptions. 2 and 3 look like pullets with their larger, more developed combs and shorter tail feathers.

Regarding breed, I am not that good, but will give my best shot.

Chicken #1 - Ameracauna
Chicken #2 - Barred Rock (?)
Chicken #3 - unsure
Chicken #4 - Dominique or Barred Rock (?

Once again, my identification skills are terrible, so my guesses may all be incorrect.

Welcome to BYC! 1 and 4 appear to be cockerels. They have lesser grown combs and more tail feathers, but there are always exceptions. 2 and 3 look like pullets with their larger, more developed combs and shorter tail feathers.
Jacob, I believe you might have that backwards. Cockerels will have bigger, redder combs and pullets the lesser grown and pale combs. #1 and #4 appear, to me, to be pullets and #2 and #3 cockerels. I can't see saddle or tail feathers on #3, but #2 definitely has some rooster tail feathers - irregular shape and length. #1 and #4 tail feathers look like pullets - more rounded shape and uniform length.

Regarding breed, I am not that good, but will give my best shot.

Chicken #2 - Barred Rock (?)
Chicken #3 - unsure
Chicken #4 - Dominique or Barred Rock (?

Once again, my identification skills are terrible, so my guesses may all be incorrect.
definitely backwards on the comb thing

Probably these are all mixed breed if the breeder raised them from his own chicks, unless the breeder bought them as chicks from a hatchery.

1 is an Easter egger pullet

2 is a Legbar cross cockerel

3 is a mixed breed cockerel

4 is a mixed breed pullet, or maybe a black sex link

1 is a easter egg pullet. Doesnt have the ameraucana fluffy muff.

2&3
Look
Like olive egg crosses. Both cockerels

4 maybe sexlink or australop pullet

1 is a easter egg pullet. Doesnt have the ameraucana fluffy muff.
I have several barnyard crosses that may have come from 1 ameraucana or araucana hen I had a few years ago. They have fluffy muffs and the same coloring, but my roosters have been BPR or Australorp. Are these girls still considered ameraucanas just because they have the fluffy muffs? I love these girls (and boys) - they are so darn cute with those beards!

Probably these are all mixed breed if the breeder raised them from his own chicks, unless the breeder bought them as chicks from a hatchery.

Nailed it. X2 here.

I have several barnyard crosses that may have come from 1 ameraucana or araucana hen I had a few years ago. They have fluffy muffs and the same coloring, but my roosters have been BPR or Australorp. Are these girls still considered ameraucanas just because they have the fluffy muffs? I love these girls (and boys) - they are so darn cute with those beards!
Nope. Once they cross there easter eggers. Or (amerIcana) notice the (pures) are amerAcauna, but alot of breeders try to trick you when u actually getting amerIcauna

Agreed. It’s also possible that #3 is a cream legbar cross.

Back
Top Bottom