New here!

We went around with our cockerel and talked to the neighbors when we were new chicken owners and asked them to let us know if his crowing became a problem. 4 years later a new family moved into the neighborhood and we had to rehome him. We did have a broody before he had to go and so got to hatch a clutch of his babies. If your neighbors are willing to work with you, you could try to keep him.

We went around with our cockerel and talked to the neighbors when we were new chicken owners and asked them to let us know if his crowing became a problem. 4 years later a new family moved into the neighborhood and we had to rehome him. We did have a broody before he had to go and so got to hatch a clutch of his babies. If your neighbors are willing to work with you, you could try to keep him.
Thanks for the response! Sorry to hear you he to remove your cockerel.
My husband is pretty worried that ours will become a problem with neighbors and kind of wants to get rid of him before it gets even harder to say goodbye. So far he is a nice rooster. He let’s us pet and hold him. He’s so fun to watch.
I’m not sure what we will end up doing. If we do keep him, we will have 7 hens— not sure if that is enough for him or not. This is our first time having chickens.

:clap:yesss::frow
Welcome again!
Great intro!

Do look up some info on the ‘See don’t touch’ method, before integrating the little ones.

Good luck with the cockerel. I had to say goodbye to cockerels quit often, and it’s true that its harder if they are older. But it has advantages too. Two times I had a cockerel who supplied fertilised eggs for offspring.
I always could give the cockerels to someone for free ( often through some kind of craigs list).

Back
Top Bottom