New Homemade feeders.

jimnjay

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Bryant Alabama
I have been wanting to have some hanging feeders because I have mice and they kick out so much feed. The ones available are way to big for my little coopettes. I improvised on a feeder a friend made from PVC Pipe and used storm drain gutter.

This was a piece of cake to make and I am looking forward to hanging them tomorrow.

I got the parts at Home Depot, Lowes had a different type. These have a nice lip on the top and I think it will help keep the birds from throwing out the feed.

12_sizzle_homozygeous_032.jpg

The pvc came in 8 or 10 foot lengths I have seven feeders of various lengths from the piece I bought. The end caps come in right and left pairs. Those were the most expensive but the interlock and the ends have a putty already installed on the insert part so they fit nicely and will not leak.

These could be attached to a wall as well. I just need the chain and a hook and I will be good to go.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I like better, your new feeder or the placemat under it! Either way, that's a very nice, creative feeder!

I use this same concept (but with recycled floresent light trays) in the Silkie growing out pen, placed right in the middle of the floor. I took a 3/4" square piece of wood and screwed it on the ends to stable it to prevent it from being tiped over by my eager crew.

Thank you for sharing your idea!

I would put me a piece of sturdy wire in the middle from one eyehook to the other to keep them from standing in the food. Just my opinion!

it be good too if you make something only head and neck can get into it so they dont jump into the food or hog the food too. ^_^
big_smile.png

I plan on hanging them so I don't think they will try to roost, unless they discover the joy of swinging. LOL

The end brackets were $ 4.29 and the gutter amounted to less than a dollar for each, around .40 cents. The Chain will run me about $ 1.00 or I could use some rope with a bit larger "S" hook to connect the two.

thats good price, im still finding ways for my trios to stop getting their whole body in their food and doing the smushing grape technque on their food, tho i came up with putting the food in a parakeet birdbath and burning a hole on the side so only the head and part of neck can get into, working so far. but they still get half a body in it or a foot. They luv putting one foot up while eating for some reason.

I'd place a dowel or piece of broom handle in between the 2 eyehooks. A washer and screw for each end-this way the dowel/handle will turn when curious chicken tries to use it as a perch. My chickens are like goats if it's up off of the floor then they will check out the view.

Back
Top Bottom