new incubator build

encorepistol

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
MO
Well I'm working on the cabinet still in between sanding and painting the inside. I've taken a few pics along the way so far and all the dimensions are wrote down so I don't forget them. I'm going to a friends house tomorrow to bend the trays for the turner which I have yet to get all the parts for. I'm going to use a 24 volt motor I found with a dc controller which uses pwm to control the speed of the motor without sacrificing the torque. I'm going to use a sprinkler timer to control when the motor turns on and limit switches to stop it at the right spots. Since a dc motor is reversible by switching the wires I'm going to do this instead. I'm posting pics now of the cabinet and will update when the other parts arrive and I begin on the rest of the incubator. I've caulked and painted the inside but needs another coat and then I'm going to clear it a couple times just to make it easier to clean.
26015_dsc_0020_small.jpg

26015_dsc_0022_small.jpg

26015_dsc_0025_small.jpg

26015_dsc_0026_small.jpg

26015_dsc_0037_small.jpg

Looking good! Nice size too!

What are you using for your heat source? What kind of thermostat?

Putting in a lower hatching drawer/area?

Keep us posted!

Cheers!

You might want to try this for insulating the inside of the cabinet. https://www.insulation4less.com/Insulation4lessProduct-1-Prodex-Total-48-Inch.aspx You can buy it at Lowes or Homedepot in smaller, cheaper, size rolls. I use 3M spray adhesive to glue it to the inside of the incubator. Warning, dont buy the cheaper spray adhesives as they have a tendency to come unglued when exposed to heat and humidity. You get what you pay for, buy the 3M brand spray adhesive.

I'm going to use the 250 watt element like the sportsmans use and a wafer thermostat for now. I'm also not using a hatching tray but four turning racks instead. Once I decide I like the way it is working I'll build a hatcher to match the incubator. I'm not insulating it since it is inside in a stable environment and the sportsman or dickey aren't insulated either so figure they know what they are doing.. I made the setting trays today out of sheet metal but have to rivet them together still.

nice, i dont have the kind of money to make an incubator like that, i wish i did, i only have the money to make an incubator that is heated by a light bulb, and a w-h thermostat hahaha, i dont know what i would do with a lot of the stuff that your using, i am a newbie, i am able to make a cooler-bator though lol
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png

the insulation will make it retain heat and be more stable as well... i would line it with at least thin sheets of styrofoam... but that's just me...

Too late for insulation now anyway. Everything is sealed and caulked so noss loss more than usual is expected. Ive got a 210 cfm fan on the way which should keep temps.stable throughout using the false wall to act as an air return. Ordered everything but forgot the heating element so I have to order that tomorrow.

I have a couple of small plywood bators one is insulated one is not the performance is exactly the same in an insulated shed that is unheated, they both work well the insulated one I used the 1/2" foam from lowes home center . the larger bator has 2 40 watt bulbs the smaller bator has 3 15 watt bulbs the small one is the one insulated it is just duct taped on not glued or anything

Quote:
I would think the OSB would draw a lot more moisture and perhaps swell. Maybe you could use the newer, treated OSB that's supposed to resist taking on moisture and swelling. I think the idea is that you don't need to Tyvek the place if you use the coated OSB, but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom