New Jersey

I know some counties are quite strict about their 4h show policy but our county fair is generally extremely small and consists mostly of backyard birds. I even had them add a mixed breed category to encourage more members to show their birds. At one point I was the main exhibitor and I figured there was nothing wrong with encouraging members to learn about their breed or chickens in general even if they did not have a show bird. I think most of the fun at our fair was having an animal at the fair that you could be proud of, even if it was mixed! Our judge is a leader in Hunterdon county and he is amazing with the kids. He really takes into consideration the care and time put into the animals. Granted, many of the birds would not do well in a larger show, but the majority of kids show only at our fair.

Now for members like myself who wanted to venture to other shows with better birds, we encouraged those kids to get into more SQ type stock. Most families don't have the money or desire though.

Typed more than I thought, but warren county is pretty cool about their poultry 4-h and many of the birds shown are hatchery or backyard birds :) When I was the show superintendent I always made it clear that the show was to learn and have fun no matter whether a bird was SQ or HQ!

I know some counties are quite strict about their 4h show policy but our county fair is generally extremely small and consists mostly of backyard birds. I even had them add a mixed breed category to encourage more members to show their birds. At one point I was the main exhibitor and I figured there was nothing wrong with encouraging members to learn about their breed or chickens in general even if they did not have a show bird. I think most of the fun at our fair was having an animal at the fair that you could be proud of, even if it was mixed! Our judge is a leader in Hunterdon county and he is amazing with the kids. He really takes into consideration the care and time put into the animals. Granted, many of the birds would not do well in a larger show, but the majority of kids show only at our fair.

Now for members like myself who wanted to venture to other shows with better birds, we encouraged those kids to get into more SQ type stock. Most families don't have the money or desire though.

Typed more than I thought, but warren county is pretty cool about their poultry 4-h and many of the birds shown are hatchery or backyard birds :) When I was the show superintendent I always made it clear that the show was to learn and have fun no matter whether a bird was SQ or HQ!

I agree completely! As for the mixed breeds, I have two little EE bantams that I love! I don't care of they are mixes, but I will be showing them at our local show and the fair.

This is probably a long shot, but would anyone like some buff brahma cockerel chicks?
I placed a small order from Ideal, they arrived today and there were 6-7 buff brahma boys added for warmth. At least, I am 99% sure they're buff brahmas, I don't see any others on their website that match the color and have feathered legs. They are pretty big chicks, so are large fowl.

If anyone wants some (or all), they're free :) They're really cute - very fluffy legs! They are just a day or two old. I'm in the Hope/Blairstown (NW NJ) area.

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=BFBM&Product=21

Last edited:
This is probably a long shot, but would anyone like some buff brahma cockerel chicks?
I placed a small order from Ideal, they arrived today and there were 6-7 buff brahma boys added for warmth. At least, I am 99% sure they're buff brahmas, I don't see any others on their website that match the color and have feathered legs. They are pretty big chicks, so are large fowl.

If anyone wants some (or all), they're free :) They're really cute - very fluffy legs! They are just a day or two old. I'm in the Hope/Blairstown (NW NJ) area.

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=BFBM&Product=21

Aww just what we all want, more boys lol. Ugh why do they do that? Sorry but I'm still trying to sell my two splash AM. I run an all girls school here.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom