New Jersey

here are two that i think may be silkies. i am new at this....but they look like pretty fuzzy feathers!

Suzanne, may be silkies - very similar to what I generally see at TSC. This particular shipment appears to be of better quality and actually contains many chicks that are significantly vaulted.

Check out the Blairstown TSC as well. They usually have silkies when they order the "assorted bantams". Just call and ask when they expect that order in! Different shipments come in at all different times, but they usually ask Ideal to send them whatever they have! Usually a pretty nice assortment of standards and bantams.

Another trick for those looking to buy less than six chicks: First ask if six in the minimum. Legally, it is. However, some TSCs will sell less than six. Another trick is to talk to the people hanging around the poultry bins and see if they are buying. I've been able to go in on chicks with other people. Last year I had a friend who wanted chicks and she bought hers and got me three. However, if people are hanging around looking to buy chicks, many are also thinking "I wish I didn't have to buy six" and would be more than happy to split the amount with you.

Check out the Blairstown TSC as well. They usually have silkies when they order the "assorted bantams". Just call and ask when they expect that order in! Different shipments come in at all different times, but they usually ask Ideal to send them whatever they have! Usually a pretty nice assortment of standards and bantams.

They order from ideal? The one in Sussex orders from mt healthy, i think.

It may change from year to year. In past years the TSC in Blairstown has ordered from Ideal. Haven't been in this year and I can't remember who they told me they ordered from last year.

It may change from year to year. In past years the TSC in Blairstown has ordered from Ideal. Haven't been in this year and I can't remember who they told me they ordered from last year.

I think that it may even change from shipment to shipment. All of the present chicks at the Flemington TSC appear to be of higher than usual quality.

Just to warn everyone. TSC silkies are not true silkies. My friend bought some last year an grew up to be large fowl size. If any of you are interested I have chicks due in two weeks. They are pure bred show quality bantams, large fowl and waterfowl. I also have black Ameracuanas pure bred great bloo lines if anyone wanted fertile hatching eggs or chicks.

I've gotten some pretty decent silkies from TSC. Again, it depends on where they order from and even when they order from one hatchery, hatcheries often use many different breeders. That's how many of the larger hatcheries are able to offer so many breeds. Though it's difficult when they are that young because it's nearly impossible to tell whether they will be show quality, BQ, or PQ until they are fully feathered and nearly adults. Even two show quality parents can still throw lower quality chicks.

If a person wants guaranteed quality, they should ideally go with adults, but at the very least juveniles. Otherwise, it is all up to the chance of genetics.

I've gotten some pretty decent silkies from TSC. Again, it depends on where they order from and even when they order from one hatchery, hatcheries often use many different breeders. That's how many of the larger hatcheries are able to offer so many breeds. Though it's difficult when they are that young because it's nearly impossible to tell whether they will be show quality, BQ, or PQ until they are fully feathered and nearly adults. Even two show quality parents can still throw lower quality chicks.

If a person wants guaranteed quality, they should ideally go with adults, but at the very least juveniles. Otherwise, it is all up to the chance of genetics.

Amen! I've spent a good amount of money for some young birds that, while they were very beautiful and obviously of good breeding, were never quite up to the standards. You never can tell. I read in a genetics book that only six out of every 100 chicks from excellent breeding grow up to land on Champion Row. Sigh. Always a gamble - but a fun one!

That being said, the chances of getting a SQ bird from a hatchery is extremely rare, although I've heard it happening. If they're just for your backyard enjoyment, hatchery birds are generally the way to go. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom