New Jersey

Why would you cut the feathers? (Sorry - show person here.) When I have birds with a poopy butt, I just stick them in the tub and work it out under the water. With the way they sleep, having their butts naked is not the best idea, as they have no barrier to the cold air without their feathers. Plus, the feathers won't grow back until they molt, so they could be naked for quite a while.
Sorry but I'm not a show person. There butts are not bald, they still have feathers on it but they're shorter. If I just wash them the poo will continue to stick to the long feathers by their butt so I opted to cut. Some people just pull the feathers out, so I think my method was kinder and it didnt leave them completely bald. We will also have cleaner eggs now that their poo is not pasted on their butts. Sorry, but I've never heard of a frozen chicken butt hole. Seriously though, if anyone has had their chickens vent freeze or their hen die from this please let me know. I wouldn't want to kill my chickens by accident!

Mine never have either so far (knock on wood). Occasionally they have some pretty runny poo too but somehow manage to stay clean.

Pretty funny though. I can actually picture the downy poo feathers blowing in your face. That's something that would happen to me and my husband for sure. This weekend i had lots of poo on the bottom of my shoes after cleaning out the run. I decided to clean them off with the hose and when the water began to spray, it came out really hard, bounced off my shoes and splashed poo water into my face. And yes, i think some went on my mouth :(

LilNugget,  Bruce has the polish under rare breeds tab and silkies are under bantams tab on his site, but I would still call and ask when he's getting them.  They are not currently on his hatch list.  I got 6 hens from him last year and they are all nice. 2 LB, 2BO, 1CQ, and1RIR.  All are laying. :)

Just talked to Bruce and you are right!!! It'll be perfect timing too!!!! So happy :)

I was just thinking about you guys, and wondering how you were making out!  What a great job on the coop and run!  Glad to hear Marsie is doing so well!  

Thanks so much!! :)

Just talked to Bruce and you are right!!! It'll be perfect timing too!!!! So happy
smile.png

Thanks so much!!
smile.png
Awesome, glad you were able to get them! What color silkies does he have as I'm looking to get some, but not fond of some colors. Let us know when you get them and take lots of pics.
smile.png

My chickens occasionally poop on my Silkie. It's nasty. I'll pick her up, notice a gross smell, then realize its all over my hands... I usually spray her with this waterless dog bath stuff (works on rabbit too) and fresh wipes. Bathing would probably be an easier solution though, as the spray bath does not work the first time.

Mine never have either so far (knock on wood). Occasionally they have some pretty runny poo too but somehow manage to stay clean.

Pretty funny though. I can actually picture the downy poo feathers blowing in your face. That's something that would happen to me and my husband for sure. This weekend i had lots of poo on the bottom of my shoes after cleaning out the run. I decided to clean them off with the hose and when the water began to spray, it came out really hard, bounced off my shoes and splashed poo water into my face. And yes, i think some went on my mouth
sad.png
Eeeeeew! Sometimes chicken keeping can be quite dirty. Good thing I'm a farm girl at heart!

My chickens occasionally poop on my Silkie. It's nasty. I'll pick her up, notice a gross smell, then realize its all over my hands... I usually spray her with this waterless dog bath stuff (works on rabbit too) and fresh wipes. Bathing would probably be an easier solution though, as the spray bath does not work the first time.
I think that's why I'm gonna try making a smaller coop to keep the silkies I'm thinking of getting. My girls are SOOOO big they would definitely poo all over them!

Back
Top Bottom