New Jersey

Hi there -  I live in Manahawkin and thinking about having some backyard hens.  Can you provide me any information?  Hope many do you have?  What kind do you have? 

HI!

You have come to a great place for information about chicken ownership!
I cannot stress enough (from experience, or lack of) that it is extremely important to do your research before venturing into chicken keeping. We thought we were knowledgeable enough . Ha! Don't get me wrong, I love my girls, but I sometimes wonder if I would have had second thoughts if I had known about some of the health issues chickens can have, before we experienced them first hand!
The above advice given, to build bigger than you think you need to, is number one on my list! Chickens without enough room experience health and behavioral issues. Cramped hens will peck and bully each other.
Read up on this site about parasite control, dietary needs, and common illnesses. Chickens do get worms, and can have issues with their crops,( read up on chicken anatomy also, if you don't know what a crop is), they also can develop respiratory illnesses, and have reproductive disorders.
If your chickens will only be livestock, then you will probably just cull the ones with problems, but if they will be pets, you may need to learn to treat the above issues yourself if you don't have access to an avian vet.
We have had our chickens for 3 years now, and have experienced all of the above. This last year has been a rough road. Without this site and guidance from the wonderful people here, we would have lost several of our hens.

So my advice? Read, read, and read some more! THEN, go get your chicks and enjoy!

Welcome to the family!
263a.png

Last edited:
Hi Jersey peeps
yippiechickie.gif

We have rooster problems at our house and I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me out.

Our baby chicks came home with us about a year ago, and turned out to contain one "surprise" speckled sussex rooster. We decided to keep him and see how that worked out. He is really excellent with the hens, and a real asset to our free-ranging flock. Unfortunately, in the last few months, he has become increasingly human aggressive, particularly toward my younger son (age 10.) I tried to follow all the advice in how to treat him as he came up... didn't baby him when he was young, walked "through" him in the yard, I've tried pinning him when he gets confrontational, tried picking up and carrying him around... at this point, I'm done. He needs to go.

If someone actually wanted him for their flock, that'd be great, but I'm not opposed to him becoming somebody's dinner either... however I would really prefer that if I'm sending him off to be killed, that I had some assurance it would be done by somebody who knew how to dispatch him humanely. So, I guess I'm asking here first... any takers? 12 month old Speckled Sussex roo. I could provide more info if needed.

The second part of this is as it turns out, we like having a rooster. We would love to replace this dude with a new guy who could manage to be just as much a gentleman to the hens, but also not try to flog my kid. So... any offers?

Jersey girl here! Burlington County - Browns Mills! Live about 5 minutes from the Pemberton Gate of the Joint base.

Just got 4 ducklings and will be keeping them as "house ducks".

Anyone near me?!

Jersey girl here! Burlington County - Browns Mills! Live about 5 minutes from the Pemberton Gate of the Joint base. 

Just got 4 ducklings and will be keeping them as "house ducks".  

Anyone near me?!

Chatsworth. Hens only. No ducks yet. Lol

Last edited:
Hi Everybody~
I haven't been around for quite a while, so I thought it's time to re-introduce myself!
big_smile.png

I'm in Jackson and have roughly 50 or so chickens with eggs in the incubator. I have Delawares, Barred Rocks, Buff Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, Americanas, Black Copper Marans and Danish Brown Leghorns. I also have somewhere over 100 Japanese Quail that just came out of the incubator yesterday! *whew*
I started with just a few chickens for eggs many years ago so this is a warning to everyone who is new to chickens... It's an addiction!!!! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom