firewalker1

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 2, 2015
littleton Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,
I am brand new to quail raising and I got 8 quail. They are 5 weeks old. I was supposed to get 6 females and 2 males. By looking around here I think I may have only gotten 3-4 females. It's hard for me to tell on some of them and it's even harder getting pictures of each one because they keep running around lol. Here's the best pictures I can get right now, I'll try to take more later.
[/IMG]

Personally id cull all those birds without worrying over the sex. Only one possible hen the rest are roos. The whole reason for the popularity of brown birds is to be able to easily identify sex with just a look. Ive seen many thousands of coturnix and one of those birds im not even sure about. The more people let birds like this propagate the harder it will be to determine sex in future generations. The breeder you got them from should have solved this problem themselves before it ever made it to a customer.

Welcome Firewalker! Those are FINE looking quails. I'm new too and only have one brown but her chest is all buff.
I fell in love with snowflake quail but got them from a bad dealer and three died. I have one snowflake sitting
on twenty eggs, her mate, one younger snowflake female and a bobwhite female. He "Shakes hands" with all three
females AND my brown swamp quail. They are all SO PRETTY. It is very fun and relaxing to watch them.
One day when I was cleaning my coop, Ella, the young snowflake flew to the swamp overnight. Ginger, my mommy
snowflake came down from her nesting box the next morning and hollered for two hours and Ella came home!

Back
Top Bottom