New Magpie Thread!!!!

I just set my first eggs too. Last year I hatched a few eggs, but not many. I didn't have the time to have lots of ducklings.

I am looking forward to ducklings in 28 days. I have a few pekin x magpie eggs in the incubator. Those will actually be moved into a second incubator at lockdown time so I can mark them with a legband when they hatch. They'll just be sold locally as pets.

One of my girlies.

The eggies. Yes some are very light blue! The huge ones are pekin.

I have the five magpies. Also have two mallards (I think) .one of them lays a green egg. The other does a neat thing n lays an extra egg every couple days. Most days we get one from each. Then we get six eggs from five hens.

We're hatching Magpie ducklings... in your experience do the males tend to be cleaner marked? So far that seems the case from what we've seen. We have blues and blacks.
I raise and breed Magpies. In my experience I don't see a difference in the cleaner markings.
idunno.gif
It all comes to the parents. All Magpies should have nice clean lines between the colors and the whites. Now I don't sex mine till they are older, but so far they look the same. I have both blues and blacks and so far i have also had my eggs produce a silver and a chocolate! I have crested, but I'm trying to weed them out.

Have to watch cause Anconas can look similar to magpies, but they tend to have "fuzzier" lines instead of the crisp lines that the magpies do..IMO

We had an Australorp hatch 3 ducklings successfully just today. The 4th pipped the wrong end and didn't make it. :-( We have 1 Magpie hen that's been sitting on eggs for 10 days or so. She started with 8, and last night 1 was broken. I candled the other 7 this AM and 6 of the 7 are developing well. And now a 2nd Magpie duck is sitting on the nest with her. I think I'll remove the drake as hatch day approaches and just see how it goes.

I have a magpie hen sitting on some eggs, when I found the nest there were ten eggs in it, she start sitting two or three days after that so I am not exactly sure how many eggs are under her. I have disturbed her since she started but the eggs are due to hatch next week.

Ok. Thanks. Does everyone worm their ducks? I read it is a must.

No.
IMO you should never worm unless you know they have worms and are sick.
Some people will strongly disagree, but in my experience ducks are very resistant to worms. I have had them for years and years, never had a problem with worms.

Back
Top Bottom